Home Forum Ask A Member 1983 70 Johnson tilt

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    johnrude
    Participant

Gentlemen,
      I have had a 1983 Johnson 70HP since new and it seams like tilting the engine is getting harder to do. It does not have power trim/tilt but the transom bracket center section appears to be in far condition. Does that cylinder act as a lift or just as a shock absorber in waking underwater objects. Maybe I’m just getting old. Thanks!
      Jim

fleetwin
      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

First, it aint you buddy…And, like my step dad always said: "don’t get old"!
        Yes, that cylinder is gas filled, and is an "assist". So, there are a few possibilities. The tilt/steering tube might be tight, but that isn’t likely, try loosening the big locknut a bit. The assist shock itself might be damaged/rusted internally and binding. The good news here is that most dealers have piles of these things laying around from engines where the dealer added power trim/tilt..
        The top pivot bushings like to bind up, usually from salt water though. The same is true for the bottom cylinder bushings. I’m guessing your engine is a fresh water unit, so this is less likely.
        So, unfortunately, my nickel is on a damaged tilt assist cylinder….It might have simply "lost its charge" also…

johnrude
        Participant

Fleetwin,
          Thanks for your reply. It has been a salt water motor since 83′ and is still in fairly good shape. The cylinder shaft when extended, is shiny clean. It has a "slight" magnetic character so it may be a low grade stainless. The upper pivot has a grease fitting but I cannot tell if the lube actually gets to the right spot. It’s a part no longer available new. I was thinking if the gas cylinder is shot, buying another 35 year old part may be counter productive. Regardless, thanks for your insite!

Mumbles
          Participant

Mine might have been different but on a ’75 70 horse I had, I was told it was a shock absorber to prevent the motor from flipping into the boat if it hit something and also to prevent it from slamming down into the transom when the prop caught the water again. Originally it was fluid filled and a new one at my dealer was around $400 twenty plus years ago. After the sticker shock went away, I unscrewed the end so I could replace the bad O rings and filled it with oil. It worked fine after that right up until I sold the boat.

To save your back, you need one of these tilter thingies.

https://www.amazon.ca/Dotline-Adjustabl … B0000AZ878

Attachments:

fleetwin
            Participant

US Member - 2 Years

The 1975 models had a different exhaust housing/swivel bracket set up than the 78 and newer models…
              After talking with Dan, there is the possibility that your 83 70hp just has a shock cylinder, but I’m pretty sure it has the assist/shock set up….
              Nonetheless, the same possibilities exist. If the engine was used in salt water, then it is very likely that the top/bottom bushings are seized with salt…
              Older dealers usually had a few of these assist cylinder/lower bracket set ups laying around, because this is what was removed when PTT was added to a manual tilt engine…Keep an eye out on future boat yard clean outs. I will check with Gary Burdick to see if he has any….
              Thanks for a great day! Don

johnrude
              Participant

Thanks Gentlemen,
                The tilt device looks like a interesting project to try as well as a deeper cleaning and lube of the pivot shafts.Thanks!
                Jim

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.