Home Forum Ask A Member 1984 4.5 Merc Tell Tale

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    stanley
    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Is there one and if so where?

retiredoz
      Participant

US Member

Look for a tube running from the block to the lower cowl ? That was a fairly common setup. Make sure the fitting is clear.

billw
        Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Seems to me that you should have the hose design, as mentioned above, by retiredoz, if yours is really an ’84 4.5. Sometimes people base what they have on what others have told them; and with Mercurys especially, that seems to be wrong, too often. Anyway, the red nozzle from a can of WD 40 or the like is a great thing to keep handy. They clear clogged Merc telltales out, nicely. If that doesn’t work, with the engine not running, blow back through the outlet with compressed air; then try running it again. If you see steam or exhaust gas coming out of the tell tale hole, stop the motor because you have a serious problem.

Long live American manufacturing!

legendre
          Participant

I have here what I’ve identified as a 1983 Mercury 4.5. It does have the ‘real’ CDI ignition, so it’s close to that date.

The tell-tale is on the starboard side, lower edge of the casing, about 1-1/2" aft of the tip of the starboard cowl latch.

It’s a stub of black rubber tube approx. 1/4" OD, with a 1/8" ID. Should squirt pretty well, even at a low trolling idle.

mogems-yahoo-com
            Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I’m asking at the risk of laughter. What is a "Tell-Tale"? George 4TSQ

retiredoz
              Participant

US Member

Typically a small outlet from the water jacket routed out where you can see it. Givwes you a hint whether your waterpump is working or not.

legendre
                Participant
                  quote retiredoz:

Typically a small outlet from the water jacket routed out where you can see it. Givwes you a hint whether your waterpump is working or not.

Others call this the "pee hole", but I’m not among them.

I believe the non-colloquial industry term is "water discharge" but please feel free to correct that.

stanley
                  Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Regardless of the correct name,we found it and it was stopped up with crud.We ended up having to put a new water pump in and all is well.I was helping my son with this motor and he was amazed at how quick the response was to our ?.Thanks again to all who make this forum work.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.