Home Forum Ask A Member 1985 Johnson 8hp running rough

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    davesko
    Participant

Hello all, I have a 1985 Johnson 8hp Motor that has always served me well, I loaned it to a friend and he said took off and ran great for 30 seconds and died off and ran poorly and would barely idle. I ran this motor the previous weekend without issue. I asked him how it ran when pumping the primer bulb and he said it ran perfect. I’m thinking fuel pump but he was using a tank given to him so I’m not sure if that could be the issue. The fuel pump is easy enough to replace and I have a new one but just wanted someone else’s opinion. Thanks in advance. Dave

Mumbles
      Participant

The problem could also be in your carburetor. In the bowl.

These carbs have a small fuel line in the bowl which deteriorates and breaks down over time causing all sorts of operating issues. Alcohol in your gas might aggravate the problem. Replacing it with a short length of Tygon will solve the problem.

Attachments:

davesko
        Participant

Hi Mumbles, Thanks for the reply but my carb is not that type on that motor. My 1987 looks like that but the 1985 doesn’t have that tube.

PugetSoundBoater
          Participant

What i have done when suspecting the fuel pump is bad or weak, is put a fuel pressure gauge in between the pump and carb. I bought a small Mr. Gasket fuel pressure gauge. I had to put brass step down fittings on the gauge inlet and outlets to match the inside diameter of the fuel line. You will need another length of fuel hose to replace the hose when you are done. You might look for a cracked fuel line or loose connection also.

"Some people want to know how a watch works, others just want to know what time it is"
            Robbie Robertson

crosbyman
            Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

has the fuel filter in the pump screw cap been checked out and cleaned ….after the fuel pick-up it is your first line of defense

easy stuf first !
              https://www.ebay.com/itm/Fuel-Pump-3978 … 100623.m-1

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Fuel-Pump-for- … gS&vxp=mtr

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

john8504
              Participant

I’ve had problems with other engine in the past where it would run horrible and I would have a vacuum leak on one of my lines. Check all the rubber and replace if it’s old.

fisherman6
                Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Have you tried running the motor yourself on your own tank? The problem could be as simple as one or both of his fuel line fittings (depending if the fuel line dis connects from the tank and the motor with a quick connect fitting) has leaky O-rings. It could be drawing air into the fuel line through the fittings and starving the engine for fuel. As mentioned, check the easy stuff first.
                  -Ben

OldJohnnyRude on YouTube

davesko
                  Participant

Update: Thanks guys for all your suggestions. I took it out this am with my tank and it acted the same way until I took the hood off and it took off and ran perfect. I’m thinking vacuum leak somewhere? I put the hood back on and it started acting up again and stalled and was hard to start, needed the choke! It’s gotta be leaning out.

Mumbles
                    Participant
                      quote davesko:

My 1987 looks like that but the 1985 doesn’t have that tube.

Right you are as your motor should have the normal 9.9 style carb on it. These carbs with the small tube appeared on the ’86 models.

davesko
                      Participant

Ok so I have it at home now and changed the fuel pump. It revs up in gear, with the hood on freely as much as I can without emptying the barrel, however now when you return to idle it wants to stall, maybe from the hood being on in the barrel? It idles fine with it off. Going to boat test and see what happens

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 17 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.