Home Forum Ask A Member 1987 Johnson 8hp frustration

Viewing 5 posts - 11 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    jeff-register
    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Wow Don,
      I’m so glad to have old non-plastic parts in my carbs, Seems it was the "new smog design" with failing sensors, ban-aid approch. Once I find it will send you a green Johnson gearcase, still good around 10 hp. Something to get done,
      Love my Mercs!!

fleetwin
      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Cool! Back in the day, we referred to this stuff as "CPS"….Saving a few cents really helped kill OMC….

davesko
        Participant

Frustration continues, took this motor out on the water today it idles awesome and cools great, runs up to half throttle then wants to bog out. carb is spotless, spark is great, im not sure however of the lync and sync. My seloc manual on this is very vague and not sure i really understand how to time and do the lync and sync. I have an evinrude version of this motor im going to go over soon so i need to get this one right and learn how to set it up correctly. Thanks, Dave

fleetwin
          Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I know we discussed this, but do you have the air box and expensive gasket in place? It won’t run at high speeds without these items properly installed. As a test, just to make sure we are on the right track, pull the primer out half way to the "warm up" position, when the motor wants to die out at half speed. If it now runs OK, we know it is lean for some reason. Get it to WOT with the primer in warm up, then push it back in, does the engine bog/stall out? If so, we don’t have a sync issue, we have a lean condition in the high speed circuit (including air box/gasket) for some reason….

davesko
            Participant

I did get the air box and gasket, I will try the primer trick tonight. Let you know the result. Thank you

Viewing 5 posts - 11 through 15 (of 15 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.