Home Forum Ask A Member 1988 Johnson 8hp bogging at full throttle

Viewing 7 posts - 11 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    fleetwin
    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Please don’t misunderstand, I love the engines also…Even with their less than desirable engineering features…
      This engine won’t run right with the 1985 air box though, it needs the correct one…

davesko
      Participant

UPDATE!!!!!! After hundreds of dollars spent on this motor it’s fixed. The new air box arrived yesterday and we took the boat out today and it runs flawlessly. Reaches full rpm without bogging. Sure would have been nice if the marina would have known that but I guess my son wouldn’t have got it for free if they would have. Thank you Fleetwin and Michael!! I didn’t even have to hear the motor run, the smile on my sons face said it all. He got 18mph on the gps in his 14 ft alumacraft. Thanks again. Dave

fleetwin
        Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Cool. I’m just glad YOU didn’t spend all that money at the marina for nothing….
          Be sure to change the gear lube on this engine frequently, and we will do the water pump next winter….
          Is this a fresh or salt water engine?

davesko
          Participant

We got the motor for free. So I’m not out anything really. I did the water pump, gear oil, carb rebuild, plugs and of course the air box. I always change the pumps when I get them so I know when they have been done. This is a fresh water only motor. My sons father in law gave it to him after the marina charged him $500.00 and didn’t fix it.

fleetwin
            Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Did you son tell his father inlaw what was wrong with it? Would love to see a copy of the repair bill, but I’m sure the poor guy just wants to forget all about it…
              Be sure to mix at 50:1, ignore the stupid 100:1 sticker on the engine….

davesko
              Participant

His father in law was actually here when we test ran it. He told me I was wasting money on the air box but I had remembered seeing something on here at some point about the importance of the proper air box and knew I would get good advice. We have a copy of the bill and I will post it when we get home. We have a bunch of motors that HAD the 100:1 stickers on them and the first thing we do before going over them is remove it. All of my kids and grandkids have Been instructed as well. I remember buying a new Evinrude 20hp that the dealer was bragging about running on 100:1 and actually told me it would void my warranty if I ran 50:1, I ran 50:1 anyway and it still runs perfectly today.

fleetwin
                Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Well, I am truly sorry the man spent all that money, but happy we were able to solve the problem and the engine is running properly now….
                  Unfortunately, OMC did a pretty good job hyping that 100:1 mix, but I know they never said that using 50:1 would void the warranty. I’m glad you ignored it on your engines, I remember peeling the stickers off engines we sold at the place I worked at, I went so far as to cross it out in the owner’s manual as well….

Viewing 7 posts - 11 through 17 (of 17 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.