Home Forum Ask A Member 1989 48SPL, Ok so it’s not an antique but my ‘daily runner’

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    captchuck
    Participant

We have a 1989 Evinrude 48SPL. It won’t tilt. It is a manual tilt engine. It has a cable that starts on the stbd side with a lever, snakes up over the tilt shock and then goes down into the bottom of the shock mount. The lever moves as it should but it seems the cable does not do its thing at the shock end. I have loosened the big nut that looks like it holds the cable into the shock but the cable does not come out. I am hesitant to pry it loose without some guidance. I have a manual comming but thought I’d throw it out here to see if anyone has worked on such a ‘modern’ engine.

frankr
      Participant

US Member

Don’t know the answer to your question, but take heart: Your motor will be 30 years old next year. That makes it a "Classic" in aomci speak.

captchuck
        Participant

I do have to admit this is the most modern engine I have ever owned. It is going on a 1968 Boston Whaler. Outboards and automobiles, the modern are just way to complicated to do shade tree repairs. Give me old both and I’m happy.

dan-in-tn
          Participant

US Member

Several very irritating things happened to those things. They were a tilt assist system. A nitrogen filled cylinder that helped raise a motor that was one of the hardest to raise motors because of the center of gravity! Well, the nitrogen got out of the cylinders (there goes the assist) & the cables gave trouble. Fleetwin would be your best bet at trouble-shooting. I’m sure he saw more of them than I did. I just heard the bit**ing in the meetings. On top of that the parts were ridiculously expensive. TNT for those motors is the way to go, but the units are also hard to come by & costly. Same unit from 40 to 50hp from ’89 to 2006 I believe. Hopefully Don will see this & correct anything I got wrong?

Dan in TN

dan-in-tn
            Participant

US Member

Bump!

Talked with Don today. He is without computer for another day or two, but will answer soon. I made him aware of your situation.

Dan in TN

johnyrude200
              Participant

Those tilt assist mechanisms are something I deal with all the time. They are almost 100% of the time with a broken cable. The cable is supposed to release pressure on the cylinder so you can actuate it up or down, but usually where it connects at the cylinder or the lever is snapped.

FYI dont ever flip that lever on a working unit if the motor isnt on a work stand or boat mounted (IE lying on a pallet or hanging from the lifting eyelet). If it is working the stern bracket will tilt up and you wont have much luck trying to fold it back down to put the motor on a boat! Makes for a very challenging installtion at 75 degree tilt!

My advice is turn the release screw (flat head) which is down near the bottom of the nitrous cylinder so you can move the motor freely without the cylinder being active. Basically you just have no tilt assist.

Buying one of those cables is around $200.00 if memory serves correct then good luck getting it reinstalled depending on condition of the original components.

Conversely on these motors, despite what the service books say, if you find a working unit slipping the stern bracket off and replacing is pretty easy if you can find a working replacement. Just pull the lower stern bracket mounting plates off (3 screws I believe, with two clamshell pieces), take a crow bar and pry the bottom swivel tube away from the exhaust housing about a 1/2 inch and slide the whole assembly off. Then repeat for installtion and you’re done. I believe this can be done with the older pre 1989 models too, but not on any of the other bigger or smaller sized HP motors. The rest of them dont have enough space between the upper swivel mounts and lower cowel to push the lower swivel bracket away from the exhaust housing for clearance, at least, not without loosening up the lower cowel/pan.

Like Dan said, FLEETWIN can chime in a wealth of knowledge related to these motors and probably correct any ommisions I may have left or screwed up!

dan-in-tn
                Participant

US Member

If it does turn out to be the cable, ME has them for $114.49 #436202. That’s not so bad. If it’s a cylinder they are on sale for $620! WOW! You can still find a full trim unit for that! I would not buy either item used, eBay, etc.

It was a neat idea, just never was worked out to be as reliable as it should have been.

Dan in TN

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.