Home Forum Ask A Member 1997 Johnson 15 hp dropping a cylinder??

Viewing 8 posts - 11 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    fleetwin
    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Richard, I spoke with Dan last night…
      He says you check resistances on the coils, and all is OK…
      So, we need to review our test results. Yes, I realize that just because coil resistances are OK, does not mean the coil is OK…But again, I don’t think that cracked potting is anything to worry about.
      I just want to review what you posted and make sure I have it right….
      Your engine sparks on the lower cylinder #2, but there is no spark on the upper cylinder #1, do I have it right?
      I recommended that you swap the coil primary leads on the coils, put #1 orange pack lead on the lower cylinder and vica versa…Leave the plug leads alone/do not swap them…
      I think you said that with the coil primary leads swapped, the #2 coil/cylinder still sparked, and the #1/top cylinder still did not fire….Do I have this right? If so, this tells me that both powerpack primary leads had juice/fire when connected to the lower/#2 coil. This would indicate a problem with the #1 coil/ground/plug lead…
      If I have it wrong, let me know…
      Don

RICHARD A. WHITE
      Participant

Lifetime Member

Hey the light just came on…lol
        What you called the coil primary leads is not what I thought you meant, so I will test again this evening and message you with the results since it is such a new motor, I don’t want to offend anyone…LOL

Thanks for the help

http://www.richardsoutboardtools.com
        classicomctools@gmail.com

fleetwin
        Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Can’t offend me, you can even call if you like…

Don

RICHARD A. WHITE
          Participant

Lifetime Member

Don,

I have skills in the being offensive department….lol

RICHARD A. WHITE
            Participant

Lifetime Member

Ok, so I swapped the orange wires from top to bottom, no change, in fact I have no spark at all right now…So I gotta check kill circuit

RICHARD A. WHITE
              Participant

Lifetime Member

Update for those that care, thanks for all the help, especially Don and Dan, runs wonderful now, owner realizes his boat is too small for this motor..LOL said it scared him…Power pack was bad

Mumbles
                Participant
                  quote Richard A. White:

owner realizes his boat is too small for this motor..LOL said it scared him.

That’s what I’ve said before, they pack a lot of power in a small package! 😀

PugetSoundBoater
                  Participant
                    quote Mumbles:

quote Richard A. White:

owner realizes his boat is too small for this motor..LOL said it scared him.

That’s what I’ve said before, they pack a lot of power in a small package! 😀

Mumbles has a video of him running a 15hp at about 4500rpm,about the same top end as a 9.9,he then takes it to full throttle about 5500 rpm ,and thats where the additional 5 Hp kicks in.It breaths better with the less restricted exhaust and the bigger carb throat than the 9.9 as i understand it.
                    I have a ’89 15 ,seems like more than 5 hp at the top end.

"Some people want to know how a watch works, others just want to know what time it is"
                    Robbie Robertson

Viewing 8 posts - 11 through 18 (of 18 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.