Home Forum Ask A Member 20s Johnson leg ID

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    lyks2tinkr
    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

At the Mystic Expo last weekend I picked up some 20s Johnson and Evinrude parts. Among them was this leg from an early bigger Johnson.
      I thought it was from a P35 but it doest match the leg on my P35. I’m now thinking this might be from a P30. What has me is the water tube out/in fittings on the side of the leg.
      I also picked up what I believe to be a P30 powerhead.
      Can someone please tell me definitively what I have?

Attachments:

pm-t2
      Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

can’t tell you for e sure what you have, but can tell you what you don’t have.

Not a P-30 leg. P-30 doesn’t have any water exit fittings on the tower, it all goes out the lower unit.

That leg looks like it would be for a motor with a mechanical water pump, and the P-series motors used the pressure-suction cooling system.

Does look like a P-30 transom bracket. The "P8" and "P9" casting ID’s on the tilt quadrants match up with my P-30.

Dunno if these pixels will help, but here they are anyway

Hope this helps.

Best,
        PM T2

lyks2tinkr
        Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Thanks for the info. The casting number on the head with 2 water connections on mine is P19.
          Your P30 is coming out nice.
          Thanks for the pictures. It looks like the 2nd photo is a different motor than the first.
          What Johnson motor of that Era was large and had a water pump?

stanley
          Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Reminds me of tell tale hole on this 1925 A25.Maybe a previous owners addition?

Attachments:

pm-t2
            Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

Second motor is ID’d in the photo as a B-35. They were an altered P-35 that used a special transom bracket that was meant for it to be installed on an Aquaflier boat. Steering was accomplished by remote control, there was a large rope sheave that mounted directly underneath the powerhead. This motor was missing the steering rope sheave.

The P-30 came out OK. Runs fine at least. I originally did the clean-up work back in 2003, but never got it back on the water until earlier this summer.

chris-p
              Participant

Chris,

Love the similar yet slightly different greens you used on the jugs and the transom clamps. Looks great.

lyks2tinkr
                Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I should have recognized that 2nd motor. We had a B35 show up at the Mystic Expo last weekend.

pm-t2
                  Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

IIRC, Walt Peeters has/had a B-35 that I worked on and wrote an article about for the Outboarder back in the late 1990’s. There just aren’t many of those motors around.

PM T2

lyks2tinkr
                    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Are the lower units the same on the P35 and P40?
                      I noticed they share the same prop.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.