Home Forum Ask A Member ’22 Evinrude RBM

Viewing 10 posts - 21 through 30 (of 36 total)
  • Author
    fisherman6
    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

It looks good! I’d be proud to run that one. Nice work!
      -Ben

OldJohnnyRude on YouTube

wbeaton
      Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

Agreed. That is a beautiful motor. You should be proud.

Wayne
        Upper Canada Chapter

uccaomci.com

The Boat House
        Participant

Looks pretty good to me.
          I’m a member of that "help me pick it up" club.
          Haven’t been as fortunate as Brook or T-2 in
          finding one of the very early ones that are
          much more civilized when it comes to their
          weight. Mine will be pretty much a decorator
          item while have it. I do enjoy undoing some
          of the abuse they have experienced. If a
          future owner chooses to run it some one day,
          its ready.

slim60
          Participant

Tubs, you mentioned a manual. Where could I find one?

The Boat House
            Participant

The manual I have is a 1927 reproduction
              I got on eBay quite some time ago.
              Printed by the Tranier Paper Co.
              I did a search but nothing for them comes up.
              I haven’t seen anything offered lately.

slim60
              Participant

Thanks for the compliments, it means alot. Unfortunately I have lost spark. I reinsulated the conderser wire and crimped a connector on it. Checked continuity and all checks out good. How can I tell if the condenser is any good on this one? I don’t get it. The motor WAS running.

slim60
                Participant

Rechecking I got infinite continuity between the condenser wire and the can itself. So I unsoldered the wires and cleaned the end. This is what it looks like now. Should’nt this terminal be insulated?

Attachments:

garry-in-michigan
                  Participant

Lifetime Member

There SHOULD be infinite resistance between the wire and the can. The can goes to ground, the wire goes to the points. Zero resistance would be like the points never open. A capacitor blocks direct current, but passes alternating current. In other words, when the switch is closed putting voltage on the capacitor. current will flow until the the voltage in the capacitor equals the applied voltage. An alternating voltage will see the voltage in the capacitor rock back and forth – positive to negative to positive to negative, etc. The spark you see is a very high frequency alternating current.

A good capacitor (not leaking) will hold a charge. Back in the day when capacitors were called "condensers" and all we had were analog meters, we tested them on the resistance scale. Touching the probes to the capacitor resulted in the needle jumping and then returning to infinity. This indicates the capacitor has changed to the voltage in the meters battery (usually nine volts) and is not leaking. Leakage would show up as some resistance less than infinity. Changing to the low voltage scale the needle should jump again showing the capacitor had retained some voltage until discharging through the meter. . . 😉

slim60
                    Participant

The can is soldered to the mag plate. I did get it to charge and watched it discharge through the DC meter. There is nothing between the coil wires or to ground. There is a bare wire on the top right of the coil I used to check the plug wire. The black wire left of the condenser would be the primary right? Thanks for the schooling Gary. I got a better idea how a condenser works.

slim60
                      Participant

This really stinks! This post should be finished, but nooooo. It ran last year then quit. I found chips in the cylinder. I tore it down, replaced cotter pins on the con rod caps. Painted. Resoldered wires in the mag. Everything was looking good. Started powerhead on the bench. Reassembled lower and ran it again. Two days later… no spark. I’m beginning to think the coil was bad all along. How can I test this coil?
                        Pic shows bare wire I used to check plug wire.

Attachments:

Viewing 10 posts - 21 through 30 (of 36 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.