Home Forum Ask A Member 25 HP Suzuki Problem

Viewing 4 posts - 11 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    fleetwin
    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

To follow up on this problem (in case 50 years from now someone is restoring one of these), my friend took it to a dealer, and the problem was, as a couple of you suggested, the high pressure fuel filter. The dealer changed both filters, and briefly told him how to find and change the high pressure filter. A couple big parts have to come off, including the long intake manifold that stretched across the starboard side of the powerhead before you can even see the part. He was told that filters are about the only problem they ever see with that model.

They charged him for 3/4 hour of labor.

Thanks again for all the suggestions – I probably could have fixed it last week on our fishing trip if I had metric tools along, but then maybe I’d have dropped parts in the lake, and it’s hard enough sometimes to find parts dropped on my workshop floor!…..and I would have been learning on someone else’s nearly new motor.

Dave

• This reply was modified 2 years, 7 months ago by outbdnut2.

I hear ya Dave, am always hesitant to mess with a piece of equipment I’m not familiar with, especially someone’s new and expensive equipment… Would have never figured you had to remove the intake manifold to get at a filter, but I guess that is fairly normal these days….
      I wouldn’t have monkeyed with it either, unless I knew exactly how to get at the filter beforehand. And like you say, would probably want the boat out of the water… Sometimes, I think that water is magnetic, so powerful that it even attracts stainless pieces…

outbdnut2
      Participant

US Member

The intake manifold on that injected 3 cyl motor covers the whole starboard side of the engine block and the high pressure pump and filter are hidden behind it…..and yes – I agree that water is magnetic to all loose motor parts, regardless of the material they are made from.!
        Dave

billw
        Participant

US Member - 2 Years

It’s pretty standard practice for an EFI intake runner to cover important fuel system parts. Some are easier to take off than others. You might consider this a pain in the butt; but compared to four stroke carbs, EFI is usually WAY easier to service. Unless it’s a small motor, I won’t even touch four stroke carbs any more.

Long live American manufacturing!

outbdnut2
          Participant

US Member

It’s pretty standard practice for an EFI intake runner to cover important fuel system parts. Some are easier to take off than others. You might consider this a pain in the butt; but compared to four stroke carbs, EFI is usually WAY easier to service. Unless it’s a small motor, I won’t even touch four stroke carbs any more.

I agree that those carbs can be bad to work on. A year ago, I decided not to try to fix one of 4 carbs on my brother-in-laws 2004 50 HP Yamaha 4-stroke. From what I could see and what guys here at the site said, it looked like a terrible, meticulous job to do, and I would have been learning on his motor, and he’s very particular about it. He was quoted $1300 to fix it by a dealer so he traded up to a new fuel injected version.
            Dave

Viewing 4 posts - 11 through 14 (of 14 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.