Home Forum Ask A Member 3 hp viking float adj.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    russ
    Participant

My 3 hp viking is leaking gas out the front of the carb.Gas is also leaking from the float bowl where the valve comes out the top of the cover.When the bowl is full the valve sticks up about an inch.I have adj the float and it now is about a half inch out.Carb is still off motor and I have filled the float bowl with gas to see if it leaks out or not.Can anyone tell me about how far this valve should be up when the float housing is full. Thanks for any help. Russ…

frankr
      Participant

US Member

Is that a Gale/OMC viking or a something else Viking? Your description of the float pin sticking up an inch sure sounds odd. Possibly the wrong pin in there?? If so, that would make it heavier and contribute to the flooding. Whatever the case, the float pin should be all the way up and seated before the fuel level is risen to the point of overflowing.

russ
        Participant

It is a Gale omc. The float pin was sticking up an inch when the float bowl was full. I adj the float so it now only comes out about half an inch. I guess I should find out what the float level should be. Thanks.

frankr
          Participant

US Member

I have a rack full of those 3hp Gale motors. In none of them does the float pin come up that high. Sorry, I don’t have an answer for you.

adam1961
            Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

Does the float needle have a groove in it? On the 5’s that I have serviced, there is a shallow groove in the float needle for the retaining clip that sits on top of the cork float. That sets your level and the maximum that it can rise.

russ
              Participant

I will check that and see if it has.When the float housing is full of gas it leaks out the front of the carb and where the valve comes out the the top of the float housing.With fuel in the float the valve comes out about an inch from the top cover.I have a similar carb and checked it by lifting the valve up and it only moved slightly. I think it just has to be set at the right adj. Thanks Russ…

russ
                Participant

I removed float from bowl and found out bottom clip missing.Replaced clip on groove and checked top clip to make sure it was in place.I also took out low speed vale on front checked it out all seems to be ok with it. Put carb on fired up motor and with small adjs it ran good. Shut it off and it would fire up ok. So I shut fuel valve off at tank until tomorrow. Had to go back out an hour later and found fuel leaking from front of carb and top of float bowl where valve comes through. Should float bowl be run dry when done with motor? Do not know what else to try to stop fuel leaking. Thank you all for the input. Russ…

frankr
                  Participant

US Member

Shutting it off at the tank should have stopped the flow. So the tank valve must not be sealing completely either. Your float valve isn’t shutting off 100% as it is supposed to. But expecting it to shut off completely overnight may be asking a bit much.

Is your cork float in good condition? It may not be bouyant enough. Or there may be a micro defect n the float pin or it’s seat in the bottom of the bowl. Some suggest lapping the pin and seat with valve lapping compound, and I gotta admit I’ve done it too. With mixed results.

garry-in-michigan
                    Participant

Lifetime Member

It could be the wrong float pin or some one cleaned out the valve seat with a drill and made it too big. . .
                      🙄

russ
                      Participant

I removed the valve from the float chamber and put a light on the bottom of the valve seat.There was a lot of light coming through. Looks like what you had said. Someone has messed around where the valve seats on the bottom. The term lapping was used for a repair but I have never seen or heard of this. Where is the compound sold? Or should I look for replacement carb. Thanks for your time and input. Russ….

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 12 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.