Home Forum Ask A Member 40 Hp Scott Attwater parts availability

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    marksoldcresty
    Participant

I have a chance to pick up a couple of 40 Hp "freshwater" Scott Attwater outboards for next to nothing. Are consumables such as impellers, carb rebuild kits, etc. still available for the outboards?

~mark

outbdnut2
      Participant

US Member

My 2004 Sierra Marine catalog shows only points and condensers for the 40 Scott, and impellers only for 5 to 10 HP models. They are probably still available, but have to be looked up as "McCulloch/Scott-Atwater" parts. The points show different available part numbers depending on whether you have a 1957-59 or 1958-60 (note the overlap of years). Condensers only available for 1958-1960, but it’s easy to adapt other condensers. My experience with friends who had 40 Scotts back in the 1960s and 1970s, was that they needed constant TLC to keep them running. One friend, in the late 1970s, finally hooked his 40 Scott to the anchor winch cable on his large pontoon boat. It made a wonderful anchor!
        Dave

marksoldcresty
        Participant

Appreciate your time research’n the catalog, ‘nut. Wish I thought of that before asking. Lesson learned. Thanks! Looks like I’ll clean ’em up and see what I got. I have been taught not to believe (the hard way), "They were running before I stored them. They’ll fire right up." Or the one I love the most is, "Just throw some new plugs and an impeller in it. She’ll run right as rain."

frankr
          Participant

US Member

Two members make impellers Brian Wilcox e-mail Baron0418@att.net. please note the b must be a capital.

And–

http://home.earthlink.net/~flyingscott/

Laings outboards has some Scott stuff also, including ignition and carb parts. http://www.laingsoutboards.com/scottmccullochparts.html

outbdnut2
            Participant

US Member
              quote marksoldcresty:

Appreciate your time research’n the catalog, ‘nut. Wish I thought of that before asking. Lesson learned. Thanks! Looks like I’ll clean ’em up and see what I got. I have been taught not to believe (the hard way), “They were running before I stored them. They’ll fire right up.” Or the one I love the most is, “Just throw some new plugs and an impeller in it. She’ll run right as rain.”

Yup! How many times have I heard "Ran great last itme oout a few years ago!….."

Hey Mark, I notice you have an old Crestliner. If you haven’t already, you may want to check out http://www.retrocrestliner.com It’s a great site for us old Crestliner guys with a lot of info and a great message board like this one!
              Dave

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.