Home Forum Ask A Member 4263 Mate #4102

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    melugin
    Participant

US Member

I secured Mate #4102 at the Street auction. It appears to be an accurate, untouched original. However, there are variations from others in the 300-500 serial numbers. The pivot bearing cap is attached with phillips screws, only ones on it. These have silver paint on them, like the rest of the motor, and have safety wires thru drilled holes. The exhaust relief has a drain with a round head screw, rather than a plug, as the earlier models.
      Lastly, the exhaust tube is brass, with four holes drilled in line about 1/3 of the distance from the powerhead.
      Due to condition of this motor, these look to be production changes. Any info about motors with corresponding serial numbers?

The Boat House
      Participant

I have 3849. It has the Phillips screws on the pivot bearing
        cap with holes for safety wires. Plug – no drain screw and
        aluminum exhaust tube.

melugin
        Participant

US Member

Thanks, Tubs.

garry-in-michigan
          Participant

Lifetime Member

There was an aluminum shortage in1940 do to largely British buying parts for there aircraft. Some aluminum outboard parts were switched to whatever was available, everything from cast iron to bakelite plastic. You got a brass exhaust tube when aluminum was unavailable. I don’t recall any service bulleton about drilling holes in the Mate/Cub exhaust tube. . . 😎

melugin
            Participant

US Member

Thanks, Garry. The metal shortage was on my mind as to the material change. I have other mates with an exhaust hole, and some without.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.