Home Forum Ask A Member 4423 mystery- HELP, please

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    skanders01
    Participant

After a couple of unfruitful days of research, I am at a loss as to how the water flows thru my little Sportwin. I can see how it gets to the lower impeller, but then to the top impeller? Then how it gets to the powerhead? That is the big question. I see the hole by the Welch plug, but from there??

I asked around while at my first visit to Tomahawk yesterday, and was told there should be a water tube. I revisited some parts explosion pages that I could find on our site here, but could not find a "tube" anywhere. I also inquired of a few friendly fellow members enjoying Tomahawk as well as to whether or not my impellers should reach the outside of the volute, and why they were curved in the direction of rotation unlike all others I was familiar with. I got mixed opinions.

So, here I sit, again, needing help from the greater audience that is the contributors on this forum who so kindly have offered such to me in the past.

The problem I am troubleshooting is no water flow to the powerhead, evidenced by the exhaust cover paint burning and no flow out the vents before I knew what was happening when I first started in a barrel. I have taken the lower end apart and can’t figure out what is what.

Off topic but wanted to add….

My first AOMCI meet ever at Tomahawk (short one day/short drive visit) was enjoyable, even despite a rain shortened afternoon. I will most certainly attend again. Everything from the most beautiful restorations of motors (and boat/trailer…awesome, Dan!) I could imagine, to the largest piles of junk (that may be someone’s pile of gold of course) and everything in between. I will go again next year, but earlier and longer for sure.

Thanks,

Kyle Anderson
      Trempeleau, WI
      skanders@triwest.net
      920-764-0501

frankr
      Participant

US Member

The impellers pump by centrifugal force, not by displacement as modern ones do. The lower one pumps to the upper one’s intake, and the upper one then supplies water at higher pressure (than a single one would) to the powerhead.

frankr
        Participant

US Member

Not the same motor, but shows how water flows to powerhead through passages (blue) cast integrally into the drive shaft housing.

frankr
          Participant

US Member

Two Stage centrifugal pump

rjoynt
            Participant

US Member

Does anyone know if the drive shaft seal is still available? Or something close? I have a leaky one.

Mumbles
              Participant

The seals were NLA a long time ago so I’ve used SKF 4770 on the D/S and 5523 on the prop shaft with excellent results. They don’t snap in like the originals so an adhesive sealer must be used to hold them in place.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.