Home Forum Ask A Member 5.5 golden jubile missing silencer

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    crosbyman
    Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

my recent purchase is missing the double tubed silencer in front of the carb

aside from carb "noise" from sucking air and all is there any serious issues to expect from a missing silencer assembly in front of the carb ?

Joining AOMCI has priviledges ๐Ÿ™‚

Mumbles
      Participant

A missing silencer won’t affect the motor a all.

Go ahead and use it and have fun!

crosbyman
        Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

๐Ÿ˜€

thanks

frankr
          Participant

US Member

I have one I’d give you, but you could probably find one locally for less than the postage to Canada would cost.

crosbyman
            Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

interesting… what would the shipping $$ be to Montreal province Quebec Canada H4H 2C4

not to many oldies collectors around here for some reason (short seasons I guess) unlessโ€ฆ Adam1961 had something ๐Ÿ™‚

frankr
              Participant

US Member

I guess I spoke too soon. When I went out to lay hands on it, I found one of the snoots is missing.

But just FYI, postage to Canada would be US$16.00 for the first pound.

outbdnut2
                Participant

US Member

If I remember right, Evinrude’s Golden Jubilee was 1959, the same year the motors went to one piece fiberglass shrouds. When this happened the silencer on the carb was eliminated because of the quiet effect of the shroud. Is this right? or did the 5.5 still have the metal case?….or do I have the year wrong?
                  Dave

crosbyman
                  Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

well I looked up the 5.5 mdl 5518 on marineengine.com and it shows a silencer and the year as 1959 .

AOMCI member Adam1961 in Montreal pm’d me and has a silencer and clamp handles* to make this oldy decent looking again. ๐Ÿ˜€

the "squarishโ€ฆ" hood is FB and was painted over. Shouldn’t be to hard to fill in the scratches, sand & buff it up for a repaint as close as possible
                    to the original colors .

* original handles were replaced by short tubings simply slotted to mount on the clamp screws

frankr
                    Participant

US Member

I have a 5hp Gale motor with both silencer and fiberglass hood. It is so quiet, I keep thinking there is something wrong with it.

fisherman6
                      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I believe the 5.5s still had the silencer for Evinrudes breadbox years (1959-1960). I believe 1961 is when the silencer got replaced with the padded plate in front of the carb. I have a 1959 and 1960 Evinrude Fisherman and they both have silencers. They are VERY quiet motors with the silencer and the fiberglass cover.
                        -Ben

OldJohnnyRude on YouTube

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.