Home Forum Ask A Member 54 Evinrude 15012 Exhaust Gasket

Viewing 5 posts - 11 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    fisherman6
    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Crowsbeak,
      The SuperFastwin will not be in the same zip code of quiet as your ’55 Fleetwin Aquasonic. This motor will make a lot more noise. That said, the ’53-’54 SuperFastwins are right up there on my list of favorite motors. I think you will enjoy it very much once you get a chance to run it. They run so nicely. Plenty of power to push a 14 foot boat around 20mph yet troll down to a very slow speed. Really good power out of a fairly lightweight package for a classic 15hp motor. There was a certain ‘refinement’ that seemed to have taken place in 1955 with both Johnson and Evinrude where things got a bit smoother and quieter. There were lower pans and cowl gaskets added to help isolate noise and the rubber mounts were added to the towers that reduced the amount of vibration that you feel in the boat.

I did the opposite to address my desire to be able to run one tank from motor to motor. I use a 2-line pressure tank and keep all my pressure tank motors original. I run my single line motors from my pressure tank using an adapter I put together that allows the fuel pump to draw fuel from the fuel line and allows the tank to vent through the air line. I put an inline paper element fuel filter on the end of the air line to keep it from drawing dirt and whatnot into the tank. Motor side 2-line fitting on one end and a modern single line tank side fitting on the other end. Need to use a barb fitting to get the 3/16 line from the 2-line to 5/16 for the single line. I have been able to run any of my motors from 5hp up to 18hp on the lake at WOT using this setup. I personally like the pressure fuel system and have less trouble with it than I do the suction system with leaks and such. That is just a personal preference, but I thought I would offer the perspective of keeping things universal from the other side of the coin. Best of luck with your Super Fastwin and welcome to the forums.

-Ben

OldJohnnyRude on YouTube

crowsbeak
      Participant

Ben, thank you for the reply and welcome. I love the great detailed information everyone is willing to share here. I watched several of your youtube videos regarding your 1954 before I decided to go ahead and get this one. If all my parts come in and the wife gives me a little time to wrench I’m hoping to be able to test start it this weekend!

1954 Evinrude 7.5 HP
        1954 Evinrude 15 HP
        1954 Gale 12 HP
        1956 Gale 12 HP
        1956 Evinrude 5.5 HP
        1960 Evinrude 18 HP
        1973 Johnson 6 HP

fisherman6
        Participant

US Member - 2 Years
          quote crowsbeak:

Ben, thank you for the reply and welcome. I love the great detailed information everyone is willing to share here. I watched several of your youtube videos regarding your 1954 before I decided to go ahead and get this one. If all my parts come in and the wife gives me a little time to wrench I’m hoping to be able to test start it this weekend!

You’re very welcome. I’m glad to have had the viewing of my videos play a part in your getting this motor. I think you will thoroughly enjoy it. Keep us up on your progress!

-Ben

OldJohnnyRude on YouTube

crowsbeak
          Participant

Well I got some time to work on this the last two weekends and she is a runner! I rebuilt the ignition, new condensors, points, plug wires and wound up replacing the coils as well. I Timed it withFranks timing tool and I rebuilt the carb and did a major cleaning on the reeds which were a mess with dobber nests.

I have a 1960 18 hp 15032 basket case I am going to rebuild so I borowed the bypass cover and fuel pump from that. The 18 had 1/4 inch bypass cover screws and the 15 hp had #10’s so I got some 1/4 inch nylon bushings to take up the slack and sanded them down to the thickness of the bypass cover.

I Put fresh gear lube in and noticed the p.o had placed nylon screw gaskets over the fiber gaskets. I reused the fiber gaskets. I put her in the test bucket and she fired on the second pull! It pumped water like crazy. So I brought it the lake and put her on my 12 foot tinny dialed in the carb and she hauled!! My boys had a blast even though it was cold and rainy. We ran it 4 times over the weekend and I ran a bunch of sea foam top end cleaner through it, Which helped get it to idle great.

After the weekend I cracked the bottom LU screw and no water came out, I will continue to monitor although I only expect to get it back out once or gwice more this year. Will still change it prior to winter.

Thanks as always cor all the help, advice and suggestions and unfortunately I now need to look for another winter project….

Crowsbeak

1954 Evinrude 7.5 HP
            1954 Evinrude 15 HP
            1954 Gale 12 HP
            1956 Gale 12 HP
            1956 Evinrude 5.5 HP
            1960 Evinrude 18 HP
            1973 Johnson 6 HP

david-bartlett
            Participant

That is great. These are nice running motors. I love mine and just picked up a 2-blade prop for it that I need to try. Glad your boy’s had fun too!

Viewing 5 posts - 11 through 15 (of 15 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.