Home Forum Ask A Member 57 evinrude fastwin 18

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    ventus
    Participant

Im restoring a fastwin 18 and having lots of snags along the way. I just about have it done and now im at a big one. Ive done a bunch of research on tuning the high speed and idle dials. Consensus ive found is starting positions are idle at 2 1/2 from stop and high speed 3/4 from stop. Wont start….i finally got it started by leaning the idle to about 1 3/4 from stop and high speed to about 1/2 from stop. But wont stay running at idle, only when i have my finger on the throttle opening it up about 1/4. Runs smooth like that but rpms are what i would imagine idle should be and when i open the throttle all the way it seems at maybe 1/2 throttle rpms. Guesses on both only as ive never had one of these before nor operated one. One theory ive had is too much oil in the gas. Ive mixed it to 24:1 as the owners manual recommends but ive found out that the oils are way different from 1957 to now. I dont want to just experiment with less oil and risk hurting my motor. Oh and a side note. I had a professional check the rods and linkages on the carb and everything is aligned correctly for throttle and idle. And it is definately getting a nice full flow of fuel. I did a single fuel line conversion with a briggs and stratton pulsing fuel pump. I pulled the fuel line while i had it running and fuel flow was constant until it died. Im open to any suggestions. Thanks for your time

billw
      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Sounds like it’s running on one cylinder, to me. Of course, diagnosing over the Internet is almost as bad as reading tea leaves. What have you done, or not done, to the ignition system?

Long live American manufacturing!

david-bartlett
        Participant

Welcome. Those are great motors.

Low speed and high speed at 3/4 turn should get you going.

Best to adjust high speed on a boat, then adjust low speed.

Fuel mix 24:1

What is the compression?

Are the ignition parts new? What make?

lindy46
          Participant

US Member

Have you cleaned/rebuilt the carb? Any gunk in the slow speed circuit could affect the idle. Start with slow speed no more than 1.5 turns open.

frankr
            Participant

US Member

2-1/2 turns on low speed needle are way too rich. Opening the throttle with your finger leans it out. Well, duh. 1-1/2 turns for beginning is the norm, but final adjustment will likely wind up closer to one turn. Likewise, 3/4 on HS will likely be rich. Yes, it needs to be adjusted on a boat, on the lake to get it right on.

outbdnut2
              Participant

US Member

Have you pulled the spark plugs to see if one is wet and not firing?
                Dave

ventus
                Participant

Ok, lots to try out, so thank you to everyone. I have rebuilt and cleaned the carb. And yes i have pulled the plugs to check not only for wetness. I will try the settings mentioned. Both cylinder heads are hot after i run it and at the same temperature. I used a infrared laser thermometer often and to be honest they seem cooler than i would have thought, though i should have written the temps down so i could mention them. I will let you all know how it goes. Thanx again

jerry-ahrens
                  Participant

US Member

sounds to me like you need to get the carb adjustments dialed in… with the high speed open that far, the motor will be way to rich, and could exhibit the symptoms your describing. Try running the engine full throttle… very slowly turn the high speed adjustment knob to the right until the motors rpms speed up and smooth out. Continue this very very slowly (to the right) until your motor begins to slow and big down, due to being to lean. While continuing to run at full throttle, turn the adjustment knob to the left (to open) until your motors rpms come back up. The idea is to get that sweet spot between the edge of being to lean, and to rich.Now you can proceed to the low speed side. This is done at idle, in gear., and must be fully warmed up. When turning the low speed dial clockwise (very very slowly) the motor will eventual start to lean cough. Now you can tweak the adjustment open till it smooths out. I hope this all makes sense. I think you power loss is due to (at least in part) your high speed adjustment being way to ruch.start with 1 Turn open on the low side and 3/4 turn open on the high side. FYI those motors cough at idle till they warm up, that’s normal. Of course all of this is assuming the ignition system is in good order.

jerry-ahrens
                    Participant

US Member

And i typed this on a Smart phone… sorry for the mistakes! Im at Tomahawk, awayfrom my computor.

garry-in-michigan
                      Participant

Lifetime Member

That is a good outboard. If the 304940 boss gasket is damaged or missing it will allow fuel to bypass the high speed adjustment needle valve and could make it difficult to get a proper adjustment. The taper on the needle valve must be smooth without any notches. . . 😎

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 11 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.