Home Forum Ask A Member 57 Evinrude Fastwin 18

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    tarcigam
    Participant

Being more of a Merc guy, I don’t know much about this motor. A customer gave it to me. Said it has been in his backyard for 20+ years. Expected a seized up pile. Pulls over with Hurricane like compression. On the outside, looks like a 1957 motor. On the inside…. clearly no screw or bolt has ever been turned. I was the first to pull the inspection plate off the flywheel to see what was expected as far as coils. I have heard there were a few versions of the 18 powerhead. I believe this is the first year of the 18. Is it a good motor? BTW would always trade for Merc stuff.

cesarp35
      Participant

Tarcigam,
        They are great motors,I just brought one to life after 25-30 year of being in a garage and this is what it looks like
        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hm4EFGUo7_Q

Anonymous

The 18hp motors run way better than an 18 should. They will surprise you.

tarcigam
          Participant

Clearly I have the wrong year on this motor. It has the rectangular fiberglass hood,

frankr
            Participant

US Member
              quote tarcigam:

Being more of a Merc guy, I don’t know much about this motor. A customer gave it to me. Said it has been in his backyard for 20+ years. Expected a seized up pile. Pulls over with Hurricane like compression. On the outside, looks like a 1957 motor. On the inside…. clearly no screw or bolt has ever been turned. I was the first to pull the inspection plate off the flywheel to see what was expected as far as coils. I have heard there were a few versions of the 18 powerhead. I believe this is the first year of the 18. Is it a good motor? BTW would always trade for Merc stuff.

Sure, that motor was made for years and there were a bunch of evolutionary changes. But I don’t know of any of them that were bad. Well not so good, maybe. Like when they started trying to make them "clean" in the late ’60’s – early ’70’s. Again, they were not "bad" but they didn’t run as well as we had become accustomed to.

Steve D
              Participant
                quote tarcigam:

Clearly I have the wrong year on this motor. It has the rectangular fiberglass hood,

1959, dark blue with gold, Golden Jubilee model, last year of the dual hose tank
                1960, lighter blue with dark blue, 1st year of single hose tank
                As mentioned, great motors! One of Mumbles videos on Youtube of a ’59:
                https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p16PzP5bvRc

david-bartlett
                Participant

If I could only have 1 outboard(God help me) it would be a late 50’s or early 60’s 18. Period.

bobw
                  Participant

US Member

What a great find. Does your customer have any other motors he wants to give away?!!

Bob

1937 Champion D2C Deluxe Lite Twin
                    1954 Johnson CD-11
                    1957 Evinrude Fastwin 18
                    1958 Johnson QD-19
                    1958 Johnson FD-12
                    1959 Johnson QD-20

“Every 20 minute job is only a broken bolt away from a 3-day project.”
                    "Every time you remove a broken or seized bolt an angel gets his wings."

wetwillie
                    Participant

Wow! That’s quite an endorsement David. I have 2 of them and started one for the 1st time just last week. Both are ’58s.

Mumbles
                      Participant
                        quote david bartlett:

If I could only have 1 outboard(God help me) it would be a late 50’s or early 60’s 18. Period.

Amen, brother!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 12 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.