Home Forum Ask A Member ’60 Evinrude swivel bracket removal

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    bill-mcnamara
    Participant

Canada Member

Thanks to all who guided me through the power head removal, mission accomplished.
      Membership in AOMCI is certainly an invaluable resource to have.

I’m almost at the end of this adventure of replacing the damaged swivel bracket.

From what I see, my next move will be to remove the 3 rubber mounts I see under the pan. One up mid-front, two at either side at the rear.

I see the 4 bolts below the forward mount, assume they attach the swivel tube.
      Question: Should I try to lift out the bracket and tube as a unit after removing the swivel tensioning screw in the transom bracket?
      I do not see another way to get at the four (7/16?) tube retention bolts.

Again, any tips will be much appreciated.
      Bill.

Steve D
      Participant

Not sure if any of this will help you Bill, but I saved it a while back that was contributed by Mumbles, Frank, and fleetwin. It was specifically for the motors up to ’58 with the 2 piece pan but after that the info might be helpful to you. It was how to remove/lift off the lower unit assembly in one piece, away from the swivel tube and carrying handle.

How-to-remove-lower-unit-from-carrying-steering-handle1
        How-to-remove-lower-unit-from-carrying-steering-handle2

bill-mcnamara
        Participant

Canada Member

Thanks again Steve D., your post helped a lot. I was able to get the exhaust tube separated from the transom bracket, and the swivel bracket separated easily from the steering tube.

A little paint tomorrow, and a Johnson swivel assembly will be installed.

Really appreciated the help provided by yourself and other members.

Bill.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.