Home Forum Ask A Member 67 6hp Evinrude I guess this one is shot

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    bullie
    Participant

I have had ATF/acetone in it for several days with no progress. This must be why. I guess it is time to look for a replacement powerhead.

fisherman6
      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I don’t know Mark. I’ve saved ’em worse than this one looks. I wouldn’t give up on it yet. Here is the inside of an FD-10 I got back in November at a local auction. This one was stuck pretty bad.

After plenty of scraping, soaking, tapping, sanding, cleaning, and tuning here it is now.

https://youtu.be/KewD3l0gDso

I’ll run it some this season and see how it hangs in there. It has a lot of time on it. Everything it has left to give is all gravy at this point. It was in really bad shape. It did have good ignition components in it when I bought it for 5 bucks at the auction though. I say keep trying.
        -Ben

OldJohnnyRude on YouTube

outbdnut2
        Participant

US Member

You may be able to bring it back to life – depends on how much time you want to spend working on it and having it sit around as you apply solvent every couple of days and attempt to break it loose. It becomes a personal challenge to some of us. ATF/Actetone has been mentioned. Kroil is also good and I’ve used liquid wrench penetrating oil. I’d pull the head and separate the crankcase – the rod bearings may also be rusted.
          Dave

chas56x
          Participant

US Member - 2 Years

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Johnson-Evinru … nz&vxp=mtr

Here is a good powerhead. It would be worth buying a good used one. Save time and money.

bullie
            Participant

I may let it soak a bit more then. Just to give it shot. This one was given to me. The previous owner had no idea it was locked up. It looks really good. Super clean. Maybe I will get lucky.

david-bartlett
              Participant

I wonder what the condition of the carbon seal is on this one. It sure looks like water got in there. Then stored lying down. Good practice piece if nothing else.

jcrigan
                Participant

I have heard that soaking in boiling hot vinegar may loosen the rust. Haven’t tried this method yet.

chinewalker
                  Participant

US Member

Tear it down and see what you get inside. Magic elixirs can’t fix rust. If there’s any rust on the crank bearings, even if you do free it up, it’ll die a catastrophic death in short order. By tearing it down, you’ll know if the guts are good beyond the rusty cylinder walls. You’ll have better access to tap the pistons out with a wooden dowel. A light honing, freeing up the rings and reassembly may be all it needs, and you’ll know better that it’ll stay together.

Michael
                    Participant

International Member

I agree with tearing it apart and looking at condition of crank, rods etc. if they are toast, then not worth trying to fix. I do have a new in the box complete 6hp powerhead that I would consider selling if interested.

fleetwin
                      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Yeah, if it really is a nice, clean, good looking engine, sure is worth a little extra effort/disassembly….

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.