Home Forum Ask A Member ’69 E-rude 3-4hp interchangeable shaft?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    whatsleft
    Participant

Hey Folks,

So, I bought one of these many years ago from a friend. He took it apart, put in a box and shipped it, and it sat in my garage until about a week ago when I decided to pull it out, put it together and use it for a dinghy motor.

As I was going over it, I noticed that the drive shaft has a bend. The teeth are all fine and it is in otherwise great condition and It looks like it would probably work, but I’d rather have it right. SOOooo, here are my questions:

-I understand that the shaft is interchangeable between the 3 and 4 hp – is that correct?
      -Since these were apparently made for many years basically unchanged, will a shaft from the late 50’s fit one from late 60’s? Or did they beef it up like they did with the bigger engines?
      -Is it possible to have a shop bend it back – I realize it probably wouldn’t be perfect, but a bit would be better than none.
      -Finally, am I being too anal, and should I just use it as it is?

Thanks All!

Al T

frankr
      Participant

US Member

310345 (short, non-folding) fits 3 & 4hp 1952-1971 Lightwins and Ducktwins (Not Yachtwins).

Yeah, a shop might be able to straighten it. I wonder how it got bent in the first place–they are pretty tough.

whatsleft
        Participant

Thanks Frank!

Got my eye on a possible older 3hp, motor, but it looks older and wanted to make sure.

Yea, I kind of wondered that myself The whole motor taken apart, all parts carefully wrapped and protected, but was in a cardboard box that was slightly beat up. But it had a piece of wood taped to it for protecton so I suppose it could have happened during shipping, but it is a pretty sudden bend. I’ll post a pic if I can.

The motor itself was re-painted at some point, they painted over the cowl emblems, but it looks exactly like this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0YcvrZ6BbaQ

Hope I can get it to run like that too!

Thanks again!

Al T

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.