Home Forum Ask A Member 6R74c $60 evinrude …update

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    crosbyman
    Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

new coils, wires ,booths, starter cord, thermostat and ready to paint the cowl 🙂

that condenser looks tilted I’ll have to take a look closer ….

Attachments:

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

fleetwin
      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

does kind of look like it is hitting something underneath….

fisherman6
        Participant

US Member - 2 Years

The top of the flywheel key is a little buggered too. That won’t hurt anything, but I’d want to know what caused it.
          -Ben

OldJohnnyRude on YouTube

crosbyman
          Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years
            quote Fisherman6:

The top of the flywheel key is a little buggered too. That won’t hurt anything, but I’d want to know what caused it.
            -Ben

hard to say.. this motor was surely in storage for years and stuck solid till I worked on it.

the initial owner never realized the coils were all crackedas is usually the case, took it in for repairs and I assume….never agreed to the charges so the shop put in the back storage where we got out from with a big tag " FOR PARTS " . somebody did "something" to it…

q? could I flip that key upside down ..

i’ll check for prices or scavanged a JW I got for 20$ . it’s coils and parts will restore a TN27 i’ll be working on after the Holidays

PugetSoundBoater
            Participant

After you have done all that work, get a new flywheel key ,as it is pretty messed up. Good eye there Ben.

"Some people want to know how a watch works, others just want to know what time it is"
              Robbie Robertson

crosbyman
              Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

my quickest dealer is about 20 miles away so 40 return…

I agree it is penny pinching …but I have 3 JW doing not much and the key one my most…banged up one may fit perfectly …and I don’t plan on blowing 80$ on coils, points etc… on the TN

if need be … the JW will be a donor this time.

thanks all for comments

fleetwin
                Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I’m guessing that is just a punch mark on the flywheel key, someone was either replacing it or trying to reposition it in the crank….

fisherman6
                  Participant

US Member - 2 Years
                    quote fleetwin:

I’m guessing that is just a punch mark on the flywheel key, someone was either replacing it or trying to reposition it in the crank….

I think Don is right as far as what caused the damage to the key. Someone was probably trying to "find" the key location and rotated the flywheel around the crankshaft. In doing so they banged the keyway into the top of the key a few times and buggered it up. As long as you don’t find anything while working on it that looks like it caused the damage, I would assume someone did it while trying to remount the flywheel.

I would probably replace it, but truth be told, it is only there to locate the flywheel at assembly. The taper holds the position after the nut is properly torqued anyway. As long as you are able to properly seat the flywheel over the key, that banged up spot isn’t going to hurt anything. Just be sure there isn’t a burr that gets mashed between the flywheel taper and the crankshaft when it is installed.
                    -Ben

OldJohnnyRude on YouTube

crosbyman
                    Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

sounds perfect to me.

the less I borrow from the JW the more chances it will continue to please somebody again.

IF the coils on the TN27 are not all cracked up (I need to check again) I may give this JW to a local kids clubs …if they want it ( it is not a thing of beauty) …. and I have a couple more JW sitting around 😕 .

fleetwin
                      Participant

US Member - 2 Years
                        quote crosbyman:

sounds perfect to me.

the less I borrow from the JW the more chances it will continue to please somebody again.

IF the coils on the TN27 are not all cracked up (I need to check again) I may give this JW to a local kids clubs …if they want it ( it is not a thing of beauty) …. and I have a couple more JW sitting around 😕 .

Like Ben says, as long as the flywheel tapers are OK, I’m sure that key will work just fine, wouldn’t worry about it….

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.