Home Forum Ask A Member 6r74c wire connector

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    crosbyman
    Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

While reviving my 6hp I measured the wire resistance on both coils and wires

although coils were cracked they measured a nice 4k each ..they will be replaced

one wire measured 0 ohms from plug to mag plate… the other measured …20,0000 ohms that wire add a small cylindrical sleeve which I assume was for wear protection against the rotating mag plate side post

I still needed to find out why I measured 20k on 16 inches of wire ?? I twisted the plug connector in case of oxydation… same reading

measuring along the wire I found a high resistance point in the sleeve section

this bakelite/plastic like sleeve was 2 inches long about 3/8 dia. with double ended screw pins to attach the 2 halves of the plug wire to/from the mag plate and sparkplug

upon examination it was marked ENGLAND 10,000 presumably 10kohms ( I was measuring 20k end to end on the wire)

anybody ever seen those and why would one put such a resistive add-on on the plug wire and why just one wire not both ??

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

Mumbles
      Participant

I remember those things from about 40-50 years ago. I think they were noise suppressors and supposed to go in the coil wire of your cars engine to keep the static down and the AM radio happy. This was before electronic ignition and carbon core suppression wires became the norm.

I’d chuck it and replace the plug wire with a length of proper copper core wire intended for this purpose. Maybe you can send it to someone here who still has AM in their vehicle and a points ignition system? 😕

PS: Check your PM box.

outbdnut2
        Participant

US Member

Somebody probably had a wore go bad and had an old automotive one laying around. The 10.000 Ohms is likely 10,000 Ohms per foot. Sounds like a lot, but compared to the impedance of the spark gap, it is insignificant for car engines. For some reason, it seems to be more significant for outboards. Back in the day, it was not uncommon for all spark plug wires on a car to be made from this stuff, not just the coil wire.
          Dave

amuller
          Participant

It sounds like an inline resistor as Mumbles said. These used to be sold as retrofits for ignition noise suppression. Someone maybe used it as a convenient splicer for a damaged wire. I’d just replace the whole wire. Many auto parts stores will have copper core ignition wire in bulk.

crosbyman
            Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

somebody had a bad wore…. hummm bad freudian slip that one 🙂

yep likely used to splice the ..wire come to think of it

yep I am changing all the wiring to solid core wire I picked it at a motocycle shop…sold by the foot $2.50 cdn/foot

I’ll keep as an antique

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.