Home Forum Ask A Member 78 Evinrude 35 HP Ignition diagnose

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    flyingvranch
    Participant

Hello everyone. I have rebuilt a 1978 Evinrude 35 HP power head. I ordered all new ignition parts from marineengine.com. What I have under the flywheel is a new charge coil and a new sensor. I have a new power pack, and two new spark coils. I was careful to properly make up the wiring connectors and I have a good ground on the power pack. I have no spark from either coil so I am at a loss to figure out what the problem is. I am currently turning the flywheel by hand to check for spark. Could I maybe not be turning it fast enough? I am spinning it as fast as I can. I do not have the pull starter ready to mount yet. Any help would be much appreciated!

RICK EICHRODT
      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

You are not spinning the motor fast enough by hand. Can you rope it over with the plugs out?

flyingvranch
        Participant

Thanks for the reply. I will give it a try to rope it over and get back to you

flyingvranch
          Participant

Yes that was the problem. I hooked up the pull starter and spun it and I have good blue spark from both coils. Thank you for the advice! I very much appreciate your time to answer!

jerry-ahrens
            Participant

US Member

That goes to show what a dragging electric starter can cause. I’ve seen that on some V6 OMC outboards. No spark, or intermitent spark due to low cranking RPMs. A dragging electric starter can cause this, and can make you chase your tale!

fleetwin
              Participant

US Member - 2 Years

A great lesson for sure….Just wish I didn’t insist on learning it over and over again….

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.