Home Forum Ask A Member 9.5 hp Evinrude – how to determine if its worth fixing

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    fisherman6
    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I have 2 compression gages (Bosch and Sears). Neither of them are particularly expensive gages but they read within a couple psi of each other on any given engine. I have a ’72 Evinrude Sportwin 9.5 in the rehab line in my collection. It reads right around 65 psi on both cyls using the recoil rope to check it. I don’t think 60 is terribly low result on one of these using the recoil to test. I don’t believe you’ll find compression to be a problem.
      -Ben

OldJohnnyRude on YouTube

jay
      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

OK – so 60ish sounds reasonable, Thats good.

Are there any tell tale signs of it being a salt water motor? I cant tell. The screws on the transom mount are stuck pretty good, but I don’t know what else I should be looking for.

I’ll try to pull the bottom end off to see if the driveshaft is stuck and go from there.

I assume these have the same coils that go bad in all of the old Evninrudes? I have to pull the flywheel off and take a look at them.

Jay

cajuncook1
        Participant

I have low hour 1972 Evinrude 9.5hp and when I test compression using the low impact recoil starter it get 62 psi upper and lower. When I use the manual rope start method (not the recoil manual starter), I get about 72 psi upper and lower. I do not use an electric drill to test compression because it gives false high readings.

My understanding is that these motors are low compression motors that were intended to be used for smooth running and low trolling. They were made for fishing and not speed racing….lol.

They are light and easy to store and carry. The negative aspects are mainly the exhaust leak issues that happen after decades of the sealing rubber parts that go bad from time and exposure. Mainly the exhaust housing seal and shift rod boot.

They are nice little motors if serviced well and don’t have exhaust leak issues.

hugh
          Participant

I have had 5 or 6 of them in my shop, so I’m no expert, but, most of them had around 60 to 65 # and made good runners. Have also ran into the exhaust leak problem on one too. If I had to go deeper into another one ( removing powerhead and all ) I would junk it first@@ :mrgreen: That is the worst part.

david-bartlett
            Participant

I would rather remove the powerhead on one of these than change the water pump impeller on a Merc. 😎

1946zephyr
              Participant

The difference between cylinders is what matters. If they’re the same, then it’s wearing even and not likely any internal damage. Some gauges can read low. If it runs, enjoy it. Those are "fun" to work on though.

As far as having a Sportwin goes, the only models I like, are 1955 -57. 😎

crosbyman
                Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

I seem to remember Leroy’s site article about the 9.5s…. they are known to be low compression (60s) on purpose so don’t worry about it
                  if everything else is fixable go for it !

my 50$ 9623 A works great

http://s1088.photobucket.com/user/1cros … t=3&page=1

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

crosbyman
                  Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

http://www.leeroysramblings.com/OMC_9.5.htm
                    stuff to read look like Leroy’s site is back up 😀

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

jay
                    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

My son and I finally got up to the garage to get after some projects and put a bit of time into this motor. We fussed around with the coils and points and got some good spark on both cylinders.

I then attempted to look over the waterpump and promptly broke 3 of 4 bolts off during attempted removal. Removal of the bolts did not have the lower unit drop down, its somewhat corroded to the top portion. I reexamined the motor over and do see signs of salt water immersion, so I am not sure it will be worth the effort to get the motor up and running. We’ll separate the lower unit and see about the waterpump and maybe give it a barrel run to see if it has other issues.

Jack and I had fun tinkering around with it anyhow.

outbdnut2
                      Participant

US Member

Those 9-1/2s are notorious for broken bellows seal where the shift rod exits from the engine compartment,passing through the exhaust housing. When this happens, it will not idle good with the cover on because of exhaust coming up and being sucked into the carb. You have to take a lot of stuff apart to even see the bellows seal on the shift rod.
                        Dave

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 20 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.