Home Forum Ask A Member 9.5hp Johnson/Evinrude characteristics

Viewing 5 posts - 21 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    joesnuffy
    Participant

Thanks Guys,

Currently the lower unit is off the motor sitting on my workbench. The engine idles and runs awesome I even put the electronic modules in it and replaced the points when I rebuilt engine and gearcase. They are the nova ii modules but I am going to replace them with the Atom Reds I am building them myself now I just finished up my 3hp 1952 twin yesterday mounting permanently mounting the Atom Reds and installing the mosorb diodes in the modules. I then test ran the engine for over 2 hours on the lake.

The exhaust bellow is in excellent condition I inspected it when I rebuilt the engine.

I checked for slop in the shift rod it doesn’t have any slop or play when I grab it where the lower unit connects to it and move the shift handle from fwd to rev. The only play I could find was where the actual shift handle slides into the clevis. Part # 64 and #66. That play looks to be normal like 1/8 to 1/4 inch. I did move the shift rod in lower unit up and down it has considerable pressure from the detent spring.

I tried yesterday to push the motor toward the rear of engine housing with all my strength but it didn’t move much.

I don’t want to take gears apart prematurely since I rebuilt both the engine and lower unit I don’t think I would have not put that piece in because I did put in a new detent spring #26 in it old one was fatigued. Just can’t remember if I put part # 25 in first diagram in. The shift rod takes substantial pressure to move from fwd to neutral to reverse so I am going to put the lower unit back on motor and with hood off motor watch to see how far the motor shifts when I throttle it up. I want to also disconnect the shift attachment from the pan area to see if that keeps it from popping out of gear. If that doesn’t work I will have to take the gear case apart as a last step.

I am also going to try and move the foot from front to rear once its back on to see if the rubber mounts in lower half could be bad as well. Those mounts are in the diagram below especially part #93.

Thanks for the help,
      Joe

Attachments:

fleetwin
      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Again, just to clarify, does the engine pop out of forward gear and stay out of gear? Or, do the lugs chatter and the engine jump in and out of gear….

joesnuffy
        Participant

It pops out of fwd gear and stays out of gear. No chattering.

Joe

joesnuffy
          Participant

I put the lower unit on motor today and ran it for over 1 hour today at wot. 2 hours total. I was also testing the nova IIs in motor but that’s another story. What is unusual about the gear issue is that I noticed today and the last time I ran the motor when I leave the shore I am in reverse. After putting motor in fwd it doesn’t pop out of gear. It mainly does it when I go from neutral to fwd.

I started thinking about that and remember that the clutch dog was frozen on shaft from salt water when I got motor it took me a day or 2 to get it to free where it would slide back and forth. The gear case was taken apart and in a coffee can for the most part when I got it. After a little while today after running wide open throttle I put the motor in neutral then back in fwd and it would pop out of gear when I give it a little throttle. I started to put it in reverse then in fwd a few times in a row at low idle then back to fwd and try it. Most the time it did not pop out of gear. I watched where the shift lever would be in relation to was it popping out of gear or not. After a little while I new by looking at shifter if it would stay in gear. I think the problem might fix itself with use . More than likely the dog seems to be a tad fininiky at sliding on the shaft still. I may not have got the clutch dog totally resolved when I free’d it up.

Thanks for the help,
            Joe

fleetwin
            Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Ok, well as long as it is not chattering, no harm will be done….Issue might be just as you say….

Viewing 5 posts - 21 through 25 (of 25 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.