Home Forum Ask A Member A*45 help

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    oopzdoo
    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I am working on an A-45,1929 3hp. It has one bad cylinder, cracked on the outside from rust buildup . I found a donor motor from a friend that looks almost the same, with a few differences. The rope sheave says "South Bend Ind. USA Johnson NO. b 10309 Motor Company. The pwhd looks pretty much the same. Water tubes root differently and are smaller. Casting #s on the cylinders are one number apart, I assume as they are left and right {port and starboard}. Big diff is lower unit is the earlier style with exposed pump like the a-25’s. Just wondering what this motor is?Second question, Are there any cylinder gaskets around.
      Thanks Dave in N.H.

lyks2tinkr
      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Sounds like your donor motor is a Johnson model B. Much earlier than your A45. Which cylinder is bad on your A45? The starboard cylinder should have a compression release.
        If the B is in decent condition you may want to consider getting it running. It’s more than a few years older than your A45.

oopzdoo
        Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Thanks for your reply. The donor motor is in very poor condition. It was stuck. I freed it an removed the cylinder. It is the port side, no compression release. The casting # on the A-45 is different , so it appears to be a replacement from long ago. For now I will continue on the A45. I’ll try not to ravage the donor for maybe a future project.
          Thanks Dave

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.