Home Forum Ask A Member Adjustable high speed jet 50hp

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Chris
    Participant

I’m about to do carb rebuilds on a 1972 50hp Evinrude.
      Are there any adjustable high-speed needles available for this motor?
      There is one listed on ebay, but doesn’t say what motors it works with.

Mumbles
      Participant

I’m not sure if they made them for your 50 horse motor or not but they did make them for the 40 horse motors thru the seventies. Usually the orifice jet in the carb is changed to suit conditions when dealing with the larger motors.

By the way, nice boat in your avatar. What is it?

Attachments:

Chris
        Participant

Thanks for the jet info. I will certainly squirrel that away for future use.

The boat in my avatar is a 1956 Crestliner Viking Deluxe.
          14 foot. For 10 years I’ve run a 1958 Evinrude Lark painted like a Johnson Super Seahorse with same cowl.
          Great motor, runs like a top.
          I’ve just recently replaced it with a 1972 50hp Evinrude.
          Still getting it dialled in.

Attachments:

fleetwin
          Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Do you have the OMC jet screwdriver, pleaser don’t try to remove the jets without it…Trying to adapt/grind a regular screwdriver can damage the jets and mess up the threads in the bowls, leaving debris behind which might get stuck in the jets…
            In any event, a little pipe cleaner is a great jet cleaner. Spray the pipe cleaner with carb cleaner/engine tuner and run it through the jets, you will see all the invisible growth on the pipe cleaner afterwards…

Chris
            Participant

Thank you for the reminder on that special tool. I was planning on seeing if I can find one. I saw the part number for it somewhere I think I saved a link for it.

vintin
              Participant
                quote chris:

Thank you for the reminder on that special tool. I was planning on seeing if I can find one. I saw the part number for it somewhere I think I saved a link for it.

I need one too.

Your Crestliner is really going to scoot with a 50!

Chris
                Participant
                  quote VinTin:

Your Crestliner is really going to scoot with a 50!

Pretty good so far. The torque is going to be very welcome for pulling skiers and a big tube. The old motor would do 30 mph with just me in it, but now we are seeing 33 – 34 mph with four adults in it. I just have to work out some bugs because there are a bit of running issues still. I had a spark plug cable that was leaking voltage, it was shocking me good. And as mentioned above, need to do the carbs. Also my prop is in bad shape. So when we get all that sorted it’s going to be a lot of fun. But it is already quicker and faster than before, so it’s all good at this point to me.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.