Home Forum Ask A Member Advice for cutting a flywheel off

Viewing 8 posts - 31 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Author
    jerry-ahrens
    Participant

US Member

Wow, sounds like you have a stubborn one! I’m surprised that you didn’t pull the threads out of the flywheel before breaking off one of the three puller bolts. Especially since they are 1/4 inch. I’ve had that happen to me before, and on one occasion, I ended up drilling and installing 3/8 Helicoil inserts so I’d have a stronger thread to pull on. Actually, the Helicoil insert is much stronger than the original aluminum threads that you have now. This may be a better option than ruining the crankshaft. Just my opinion,I may be wrong.

wetwillie
      Participant

I attribute my luck in removing the broken bolt to the liberal coating of Anti-sieze that I lubed it with before threading it in.
        For once, a little forethought paid off.
        Btw, Hey Chinewalker, were you a member of the Classic Glastron forum at one time? I seem to remember there being a member with the same name quite some time ago.

auldscott
        Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Echoing David Bartlett’s comment: the key to striking the end of the crankshaft to shock the flywheel loose is to apply a sharp, hard, fast hit – I use a light ball pein hammer. A sledge or a lead hammer will deliver a heavy blow, but it will not be a sharp shock. If you have not done it already, swing the hammer as fast as you can, but don’t take a full "take that!" swing, just a sharp snap of the hammer head.

I have not experimented with using an air chisel with a blunt tool. My guess is that it will not deliver enough force to work.

If you decide to cut it off, work with great care. I’d use a Dremel with a 1" reinforced cutoff wheel. First cut away the flywheel near the center. When you get near the shaft, work ever more slowly. I don’t know whether a few shallow grooves cut into in the shaft will weaken it, but there is a lot of stress there. (I have not done this, but I have cut some major steel with a Dremel. It just takes a while.)

Chris
          Participant
            quote david bartlett:

I would not use a "Lead" hammer as you mentioned above. I would go for something heavy and solid.

Exactly what I was about to type reading above. You want the harsh "shock" of an impact, you don’t want to soften the blow.

I think so many of us have been in this position. Not fun, but tension on the puller and a good amount of hard pinging usually will do it.

outbdnut2
            Participant

US Member

Some years ago before I knew any better, I used a brake drum puller on a stubborn Big Twin flywheel that wouldn’t come off with a cheapie bolt puller – I learned my lesson – the flywheel cracked.
              Dave

wetwillie
              Participant

I’ve been too busy to mess with it since my last post. However, a good friend dropped by, looked at my predicament and suggested that I hit it from the side while its under tension. Said he had some luck removing a stuck one himself that way. I’m planning on taking his advice when I get back to it. In the meantime, it remains under tension with a thick film of Kroil on it.

wetwillie
                Participant

Well, I thought it only right that I post another update. This will be my last on this topic. I snapped another OMC puller bolt off yesterday. This came after I tried heating the area with a torch and whacking it several times with a steel hammer while under tension with the puller. This is my last post on the topic because I decided to list the motor As Is on CL last night. I got a call this morning from a friend who wants to buy it. That will be The End of this ordeal. Thanks to everyone that responded to my initial post.

1936johnson
                  Participant

David Bartlett is exactly right. Tighten the puller down as tight as it will go without breaking something and then whack the center puller bolt with a 2lb STEEL hammer. That SOB will pop right off. The lead hammer does not produce the needed SHARP blow.
                    Steve Stevens

Viewing 8 posts - 31 through 38 (of 38 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.