Home Forum Ask A Member Aligning Taper Pin Removal

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    drifter
    Participant

Is there a technique for removing the crankcase aligning pins on the smaller 1950’s OMC outboards?
      I know they are driven towards the carburetor. One is easy to get to but the other is at a tough angle for a drift.
      Thanks,
      Drifter

bobw
      Participant

US Member

Attached is a photo posted by another member some time ago showing how to use a nut/bolt combination to drive the pin out on the smaller block motors. Great idea – worked well on my motor.

Attachments:

Bob

1937 Champion D2C Deluxe Lite Twin
        1954 Johnson CD-11
        1957 Evinrude Fastwin 18
        1958 Johnson QD-19
        1958 Johnson FD-12
        1959 Johnson QD-20

“Every 20 minute job is only a broken bolt away from a 3-day project.”
        "Every time you remove a broken or seized bolt an angel gets his wings."

frankr
        Participant

US Member

You are going to remove the offending exhaust cover anyway–aren’t you?

Mumbles
          Participant

As mentioned, removing the pin on the 5.5 – 6 horse motors is a lot easier with the exhaust cover removed. A sharp rap on a long punch will get them moving.

theodore
            Participant

Could you drop a 5/16 or 3/8 nut over the big end of the pin, then pinch with a big vise grip between the nut and pin small end?

dan-in-tn
              Participant

US Member

Not saying you didn’t, but always remove the pins first (while block is still bolted together) and install pins first. Just make it a habit. They come out better when everything is held firm. The pin is tapered so like mentioned usually give with a quick rap. On installation no need to drive then down hard, just for alignment.

Later service manuals show a special tool that can be made for removal. Works great! I’ll see if I can find a pic.

Dan in TN

drifter
                Participant

I did remove the exhaust cover. Still not a lot of room for a drift. I did remove the pins prior to loosening the bolts. I just knew there had to be an easier way than the angle I had to hold a drift. Thanks for the tips.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.