Home Forum Ask A Member Another Big Twin Observation….

Viewing 7 posts - 41 through 47 (of 47 total)
  • Author
    bill-mcnamara
    Participant

Canada Member

OPHS!…. I may have had a "senior moment"……no sealer used!
      From the way it came apart, the original gaskets didn’t seem to have any.
      Easy enough to go back in and use some 847.

Baffle plate was 100% solid, not even the slightest sign of pitting.

No sign of seepage around head gasket area, and performance is excellent.
      If lower seal were at fault, wouldn’t compression be down?

So far I haven’t been dumping the collected mix back into the tank, especially this milky looking stuff, but the clearer stuff looks fine to do so.If it’s a little oil rich, what’s the harm?

Thanks for the feedback guys, Bill.

frankr
      Participant

US Member

Crankcase seal leaks won’t affect cylinder compression.

chris-p
        Participant

Yeah, testing for a faulty lower seal near impossible without actually pulling the block and inspecting. Always put sealer on the exhaust side. All of the bolts as well get a coating of sealer. Then torqued to spec.

bill-mcnamara
          Participant

Canada Member

Thanks for all the help guys, much appreciated.
            Have to leave the project for a couple of weeks, as I’m off on a little sailing trip.
            Will apply some sealer when I get back,and try again. Failing that, guess it’ll be pulling the block and seeing how that lower seal looks.

When I was given ($10) the "Basic Gasket Set" (367453) a couple of days ago, it of course contained a base gasket. Might have been an omen huh? ha ha.

Thought about fogging the engine when it was on the hose, but rationalized that if water was coming in through the lower seal, the fogging might not have any effect anyway. Crazy notion?

Guess I could spray some oil into the plug holes now though,wouldn’t hurt would it?

Bill.

bobw
            Participant

US Member

Bill,

Shouldn’t hurt a thing to shoot some fogging oil in the cylinders and turn it through a few revolutions to disperse the oil.

Bob

1937 Champion D2C Deluxe Lite Twin
              1954 Johnson CD-11
              1957 Evinrude Fastwin 18
              1958 Johnson QD-19
              1958 Johnson FD-12
              1959 Johnson QD-20

“Every 20 minute job is only a broken bolt away from a 3-day project.”
              "Every time you remove a broken or seized bolt an angel gets his wings."

billw
              Participant

US Member - 2 Years

If you can’t get to it for awhile, what I would do would be to remove the lower unit and thus, the source of water intrusion; then run it for maybe 15-30 seconds while fogging the living blue blazes out of it, through the carb. If you just put oil in the cylinders, it’s not going to get to the crank case, where most of the water damage may take place while you’re sailing.

Long live American manufacturing!

chris-p
                Participant

When I go around once a year and fog my motors on racks I don’t use, I have someone pull them over while I fog through the carb.

Viewing 7 posts - 41 through 47 (of 47 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.