Home Forum Ask A Member Anybody recognize this tin boat?

Viewing 5 posts - 11 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    mini-motors
    Participant

Hilarious! Two of me would leave no weight left over for any motor, except maybe a Cruise-N-Carry. The BIA label on my Elgin is long gone, but I remember the HP rating.

amuller
      Participant

This is definitely getting very close. The only link to Sears vendor number 581 that I could find was Imarflex and that doesn’t really seem to fit with boatbuilding but I will dig more on that. 60122 seems to correspond with 1973 and 1974.

The rear quarter plates and the bow plate are slightly different.

mini-motors
        Participant

The seats and the stamping of the transom scream Elgin. Many of those vendor lists for Sears are incomplete. Here is a pic of the 1961 Sears/Elgin catalog. If you look closely at the transom of the one on top of the car, you’ll see the resemblance.

amuller
          Participant

I was able to find a six-digit number on the port side of the transom (inside). Can also see where a tag like the shown in this thread has fallen off or been removed. Is there any useful way to interpret such a number? I presume it is a "serial number."

Thanks.

The Boat House
            Participant

• This reply was modified 5 years, 5 months ago by The Boat House.
              • This reply was modified 3 years, 1 month ago by The Boat House.
            Viewing 5 posts - 11 through 15 (of 15 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.