Home Forum Ask A Member AOMCI Instagram concept?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    silvab7232
    Participant

Hello my names Alex. I’m a younger guy looking to get more involved in the club. I’m just about to officially get my membership saving up. I love antending the AOMCI meets. Everything about those engines fascinates me and I plan to be an active member. So I wanted to start an Instagram page for the club and already have a rough draft and concept page started. With Instagram being a relatively new platform, and growing to be a popular social platform. I believe there is potential for the page to help get Info about the club out there. instagram is a platform where you post pictures with captions. Very simple very well used. Very simple to use this platform. This being a more commonly used platform now with the younger generation, hopefully we can get more of the younger generations involved in this amazing club and become active members. So I want to ask you guys, what do you feel about this concept? I wanted to see if I can get permission to use this account for the AOMCI? What are your guys thoughts and questions? You can visit the Instagram page here – https://www.instagram.com/antiqueoutboardmotorclub

Attachments:

Buccaneer
      Participant

US Member

Lot of neat photos and fun to look at, but
        the "captions", or lack there of, make
        me wish for more information, either about
        the motor, or event, etc., instead of just "cool motor".

Prepare to be boarded!

Mumbles
        Participant

I see two of my motors on your new page so it works for me! ☺

One thing though. You may have to check with the powers that be to use the AOMCI logo and name.

nj-boatbuilder57
          Participant

First, I think it’s GREAT to see someone who’s younger develop an interest into this hobby (affliction? 🙂 ). And, yes, I understand & respect that Instagram (and other platforms) is the way that younger people communicate.

That said, I’d wonder if it would be worthwhile to first take a poll of the people on this board:

What kind of cellphone is in your pocket:
            a.) Smartphone
            b.) Flip phone

I may be dead wrong, but I would suspect the age demographic of the group might not be as "leaning" to the smartphone side as the general population at large.

I’m 60, I have a flip phone, and although I have and use an iPhone for my job, I don’t "do" any social media of any type on it. Judging by the ages of the men I see in the posted photos of swap meets, etc., I suspect I’m not alone. I only offer this because it would be a shame to spend the time creating an Instagram group only to have nobody use it.

Again…..might be 100% dead wrong.

lyks2tinkr
            Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I think it’s a great concept and really like the fact you are interested in the antique motors.
              It always good to have new blood coming into the club and I appreciate your enthusiasm.
              As far as phones go,smart phones are where it’s at sorry to say. I got rid of my flip phone 4 years ago and it’s harder to even find one now.
              I’m 56 and do most of my surfing on a Galaxy S4. Can take and edit pictures and immediately upload them. Still like my laptop but don’t use it as much anymore.
              I like the idea :^)

silvab7232
              Participant

Thanks, yes I need to see if I can get permission to use the AOMCI name and logo. That’s what I need to work on next. Yes my captions defiantly could be better. A lot of the pictures I have token myself, but a lot are ones I have found on the web, which I try to be careful to not get tangdled up with copyright claims. I also do realize not a lot of people in these forms use may use smartphones, so I see your guys points on that. I beleive there is some potential, but for right now I’m using it as a concept. Now in the future if this becomes a official page for AOMCI we can arrange to have multiple administrators to post photos from their meets, projects, and upcoming events.

oldcollector
                Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Great idea, I was wondering when someone would come up with this. i’M 69 years young and have had a smart phone when they were first introduced!

vintin
                  Participant

It looks like a volunteer has stepped up!

Thanks Alex.

outboardnut
                    Participant

US Member

I think it is a great idea to get new blood in the club
                      It does not matter if us old guys look at it or not.
                      Join the club
                      Then ask the executive council for the ok
                      Hopefully they will pass the motion quickly while Alex is still keen on the idea

wbeaton
                      Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

I think it’s a great idea. We discussed setting up Instagram and Twitter accounts for our chapter. Unfortunately, none of us wanted to be the one to figure it out. Facebook was as far as us middle aged guys were willing to go. No offence intended, nj-boatbuilder57, but an Instagram account would not be targeting our current membership. We can’t think traditionally if we want to entice younger people. I don’t think we will ever get many young members. However, if we can become part of their virtual lives now when they reach the point in their real lives when they are established and looking for a family friendly hobby we will already be there in their pocket, waiting for them.

Wayne
                        Upper Canada Chapter

uccaomci.com

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 26 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.