Home Forum Ask A Member Bearing locator pin

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    stanley
    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

These pins keep crank bearings from moving in crank case.They look to be pressed or threaded into crankcase casting.Any body ever have to replace one?Are they available?You can see one is considerably shorter than the other,and barely engages the bearing.

Attachments:

garry-in-michigan
      Participant

Lifetime Member

They are pressed in after the Assembled crankcase is line board for the bearings. They are not available because pushing them in further would require high torque on the main bearing bolts with the bearing misaligned which could seriously warp the crank case and causing problems with sealing & alignment . . . 😎

billw
        Participant

US Member - 2 Years

For what it’s worth, I had one that got pushed in too far, one time. I cut some threads in the hole with a small tap and was able to pull it out with a screw. I cleaned it all up and was able to reuse it. Gary is right, I am sure…the crank case probably didn’t like it….but I don’t remember any problems from having done what I did….All that being said, as long as there is enough still sticking out on yours to keep the bearing from turning, why mess with it?

Long live American manufacturing!

stanley
          Participant

US Member - 2 Years

When I say barely I mean,"maybe it will or maybe it won’t".With the o-ring on the bearing it doesn’t catch.After every thing is bolted up,maybe.Instead of pulling the pin,how about tapping it and putting in a small brass screw,then filing the head to fit?

fleetwin
            Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I would sure go with Bill’s solution…These things are only there to locate and secure the bearing race so it won’t rotate in the block. Yes, oil does pass through some of them, so be sure passages are clear….

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.