Home Forum Ask A Member Bendix Battery single help

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Tom
    Participant

US Member

I have an early Bendix single with battery ignition. There appears to be a fuel line missing between the tank fittings and the "carburetor". If someone has a photo of these lines with the flywheel removed, I would appreciate it. Specifically, does one of the lines go from the starboard side carb fitting over to the tank fitting assembly, and then down to the lower fitting inside the tank?

Thanks,

Tom Manley

Mumbles
      Participant

Does it have to be battery ignition Tom? I have a single with mag ignition and some photos of the choke knob. You can kinda see how the fuel line goes but I could always get some better photos if it looks the same.

Attachments:

Tom
        Participant

US Member

Yes, battery ignition. It has the flip top, no external carburetor adjustments. The adjustments are on the casting that drops into the tank, with two copper tubes that go to the venturi tubes on the intake. Quite non-conventional.

Tom

Mumbles
          Participant

OK, I know the ones. Flip tops were ’36 – ’37ish?

david-bartlett
            Participant
              quote Tom Manley:

Yes, battery ignition. It has the flip top, no external carburetor adjustments. The adjustments are on the casting that drops into the tank, with two copper tubes that go to the venturi tubes on the intake. Quite non-conventional.

Tom

Did Bendix make anything “non-conventional”?

johnyrude200
              Participant

Motor sounds familiar

john-folke
                Participant

Tom,
                  The SB was offered for 2 years, ‘36 and ‘37.
                  The 36 had two transom clamps and all carb controls and choke was under the flip top.
                  The 37 looked just like the SM but had the battery ingnition. Very few of these were made.
                  I believe they are the rarest of the Bendix models. It is my opinion they were only produced to use up stocks of battery ignition parts. The fuel lines on the 36 were routed differently than the 37. They were routed around to the front side of the Venturi. The long away around if you will. On the SM they were routed to the backside making them shorter.
                  Also the 36 did not have an ID tag. The number was stamped directly in the side of the tiller handle. I’ll post some pictures. Oh, I now have new gaskets for these motors. Individually and in sets. These are new, not old stock.

john-folke
                  Participant

Tom, I have attached two pictures of the 1936, SB layout.
                    John K. Folke
                    302-480-4363

Attachments:

john-folke
                    Participant

Here is an image of the second version with shorter tubes routed to the rear. Someone has soldered on these.

Attachments:

john-folke
                      Participant

Here is what the serial number stamp looks like on the ‘36 most owners don’t know is there.

Attachments:

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.