Home Forum Ask A Member Bendix Eclipse

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    chrisidcw
    Participant

US Member

Found a real nice Bendix Eclipse SMD at a garage sale the other day, looks like it should be a runner with out to much trouble other than I am not getting any spark. looking for a manual on this and also what kind of points I need to use for replacement. Appreciate any assistance or tips.

Attachments:

1 user thanked author for this post.
      david-bartlett
      Participant

Chris,

Welcome. Nice find there. The Bendix magneto is kind of different, but usually will fire if the points and other connections are clean. You probably won’t find any new points, so take care of what you have. Get them nice and shiny and give it a go. Plug wires on these can be troublesome too, so get all your connections clean.

Tom
        Participant

US Member

Be careful if you remove the flywheel. When re-installing, you need to line up the crank so that the low spot on the cam lines up with the point block, or the points will be bent. IIRC, there is an old Checker Marathon model that shares points with the Bendix motors, but I can’t remember the model or year.

it might be these, I wish I could guarantee it.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/A113P-Contact-points-Delco-Remy-Am-Motors-Checker-DeSoto-Dodge-Jeep-Willys-mo/362342381888?epid=1740421850&hash=item545d49f940:g:bFIAAOSwlJ1aw8wh

Tom

Mumbles
          Participant

Ditto what Tom says about lining up the flywheel when putting it back on!

These points from my ’38 were damaged when I got the motor but I found a match for them at my local auto supply.

Attachments:

chrisidcw
            Participant

US Member

outstanding, I did remove the flywheel, glad you mentioned that, I may have overlooked that.

chrisidcw
              Participant

US Member

I ended up having to replace points. Now I need the gap, any help would be great

dan-in-tn
                Participant

US Member

I found some sets of points on eBay (3) sets. I have some Bendix Eclipse so I bought them. These are Delco Remy D110. Listed as used on Checker & other GM product. Distinctive in that the two holes go around the points hold down screw & adjustment screw. I used Mumbles box to order some, but my auto parts store never got them in? Trying to send a pic, but may be small. Hoping Delco Remy might be better quality? These are very NOS, but in surprising good shape.

Dan in TN

david-bartlett
                  Participant
                    quote chrisidcw:

I ended up having to replace points. Now I need the gap, any help would be great

Set points to 0.020”

chrisidcw
                    Participant

US Member

I found the points at local parts store they ordered them and were not cheap$14.00 so I made real sure I put the flywheel On correctly

billw
                      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I wouldn’t want to make them in the basement with a hammer and file, for $14.00. I think that’s a pretty fair price for a rareish part….That’s one of the troubles with this hobby. The motors themselves are so dirt-cheap, that we get a warped sense of values, when it comes time to invest enough money to make them run. Then, when it comes time to resell them, we never get that investment back. It is strictly a labor of love.

Long live American manufacturing!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 11 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.