Home Forum Ask A Member Best source for pressure tanks

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    rschiff
    Participant

Hey all,

I am going to be looking for a pressure tank for my ’57 johnson 18hp that we are almost finished with. Couple of questions.

Is there a good resource for shopping for these? Seems like ebay is pretty pricey but not sure. How well can I trust where or who I buy it from that they did the restoration correctly? Is there a way to test before putting gasoline in there that it is safe?

Also, not well versed in pressure tanks and seem to be fairly dangerous if I’m not careful so is rebuilding one feasible for a newbie or should I just keep it safe and buy a refurbished one?

Just some random thoughts and questions before I go shopping…Thanks

Robbie

chris-p
      Participant

Don’t believe what you read. They are not the ticking time bombs some make them to be!

rebuilding one is not all that difficult if you want to try it out. If so, Pm me with your email and I can send you some help via literature.

Rebuilt ones seem to go for about 100 bucks or so. Maybe a bit more if all painted with new decals. A good, decent working one around 30 to 50.

Place a wanted ad in the classifieds, a good deal from a local member will pop up.

grover
        Participant

US Member - 2 Years

If you can get to a swap meet, you can usually find 2 or 3 for sale at a good price and from reputable people.

jasonh
          Participant

Tk walker in TN rebuilds and restores them.
            http://www.oldoutboardbarn.com/

1946zephyr
            Participant

Those motors are easy enough to convert to a single line too. Thats another option

Doug Wilson
              Participant

US Member - 2 Years

if you get a rebuild kit they are pretty easy to go through just watch how you take it apart replace the diaphram oring on the primer and gasket on the guage. a little gasket sealer on the cork gasket if you want to and new washers on the mounting screws .

Doug

how is it motors multiply when the garage lights get
                turned off?

ede
                Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I have several tanks that are available for the market place. They come ‘reconditioned’ and ready for use. Ask for details

Steve A W
                  Participant

US Member - 2 Years

If You can rebuild a carb, The tank is a piece of cake.

Member of the MOB chapter.
                    I live in Northwest Indiana

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.