Home Forum Ask A Member Britannia Outboard

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    wbeaton
    Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

I picked up this Britannia Lightwin today. Interesting motor. I’m still trying to find more information about it.

Attachments:

Wayne
      Upper Canada Chapter

uccaomci.com

Buccaneer
      Participant

US Member

Neat find. I never heard of, or seen one of those.
        Will be interested in knowing what you find out
        about it!

Prepare to be boarded!

oldelto
        Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

Wayne
          Your Britannia is made around 1929, rated at 4 hp at 3,000 rpm. Weighs 42 lbs.

garry-in-michigan
          Participant

Lifetime Member

1932 – Check out page 205 of the third addition of the Old Outboard Book . . . 😉

wbeaton
            Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

Thanks for the responses. From what I’ve found so far it appears the Britannia Lightwin was made from 1932 and into the 1940’s. There are some differences between this one and the earlier Britannia’s. I suspect this one was made at the end of the run and not the beginning. When I find out more I’ll post back.

Wayne
              Upper Canada Chapter

uccaomci.com

chris-p
              Participant

Neat. Not something you see everyday.

oldelto
                Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

Wayne,
                  Will you go to Whitby dry meet this Saturday? If so, I will show you my 1929 Britannia sales brochure.

wbeaton
                  Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years
                    quote oldelto:

Wayne,
                    Will you go to Whitby dry meet this Saturday? If so, I will show you my 1929 Britannia sales brochure.

Really? I thought 1932 was the first year. I have since learned that this motor is definitely no later than 1932, which is a nice surprise. Is there anyway to narrow down the exact year without the serial tag? Unfortunately, I can’t make it to that meet. I’m tentatively heading to New York to pick up some motors.

Wayne
                    Upper Canada Chapter

uccaomci.com

oldelto
                    Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

I reread brochure again. Possibly 1930. It came with several 1929 Elto and others from England several years ago
                      Brochure talked about marketing in 1927. More demand for motors in 1929, so started
                      manufacturing in 1930 ( or you said 1932 and Garry said too). I have Hunn’s 1st and 2nd edition but
                      not 3rd. Pic in my brochure is exactly like yours. Plain rope sheave. Brass lower unit. One diff is gas cap, original is
                      shallow with gas vent on top of cap.
                      No list on serial/models.
                      Any ser/model on your motor?
                      Did you find motor locally? I have seen other Britannia model at wooden boat meet – kind of inboard with a slanted steering wheel
                      on top of it. Found in Muskoka several years. Not know where it is now.

I collect outboard motor brochures.
                      Billy

wbeaton
                      Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

Hi Billy. This motor came to me from Barrie, ON. The original serial plate was screwed to the rope sheave, which has since been lost. There is also a casting at the base of the tiller that is supposed to have the serial number except that casting has been partially removed on my motor. So no markings on mine. Britannia made inboards using this motor. It was called a Middy. Of course, it was a little different. My copy of Hunn’s book says BRB began production of the Lightwin in 1932. The guys on the UK site Saving Old Seagulls have suggested 1932, as well. However, I get the impression there isn’t much info about them. Hunn’s book claims that BRB shopped the motor around looking for an American company to build it so it might be possible that some preproduction literature exists.

My gas cap is a homemade job. Apparently, it is common to a number of other motors including British Seagulls from the 1930-40’s.

Attachments:

Wayne
                        Upper Canada Chapter

uccaomci.com

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 12 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.