Home Forum Ask A Member Broken steering bracket

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    rjoynt
    Participant

US Member

I have come across a 1967 6hp Evinrude in very good condition. With the exception of the steering bracket. Evidently, somewhere down the road, someone must have pushed down on the tiller arm, probably in a river, and the bracket broke aft of the hinge.
      To weld or replace?
      If replace, how does it come off? Pull powerhead? Lower unit? Never did one.
      Thoughts?

Attachments:

twostroke
      Participant

You gotta’ pull the powerhead to replace it as I remember. I’ve see a bunch of them TIG welded over the years…..they work fine, but ain’t real pretty. Should be pretty easy to find from one of the ebay cannibalizers.

Jim

I say "pardon me" a lot. I had a 20H, then raced open mod sleds.

frankr
        Participant

US Member

Unless I am sadly mistaken, you do not have to pull the powerhead. Remove the clamshells from the lower mount and the nuts from the upper side mounts and the nut from the upper front mount. Remove vertical throttle shaft and disconnect gas line.

Now swing the lower unit aft and lift the whole motor up and away from the steering bracket.

rjoynt
          Participant

US Member

Jim/Frank; this is why I am proud to be a member of the AOMCI. Information like this keeps motors running and friendships made. I would love to dive in to it, but getting ready for a wet (hopefully not the rainfall type) meet tomorrow. Bringing the 1946 Aerocraft. It should be a great day. By the way, I have two 6hp parts motors, hopefully one of them will not mind being a donor.
            Thanks guys.

Attachments:

dougs-outboards
            Participant

rjoynt,

I believe I have a used steering bracket sitting on the shelf here, and I need a shifter handle off of a 6hp, maybe trade? I would have to check numbers on the bracket, do you happen to know the number of the bracket you need?

Doug at outboardrepair1@gmail.com

Thanks!

fleetwin
              Participant

US Member - 2 Years
                quote FrankR:

Unless I am sadly mistaken, you do not have to pull the powerhead. Remove the clamshells from the lower mount and the nuts from the upper side mounts and the nut from the upper front mount. Remove vertical throttle shaft and disconnect gas line.

Now swing the lower unit aft and lift the whole motor up and away from the steering bracket.

I’m sadly mistaken with you Frank…You don’t have to pull the powerhead to replace the steering bracket..
                But, I guess if it was me, I would go ahead and pull the powerhead/gearcase at this time to do the water pump and check powerhead seal components…
                Looks like a nice motor otherwise…

rjoynt
                Participant

US Member

Done!!! Learned a lot. The nut under the motor just has to be loosened, easier if you remove the pivot arm above the throttle gear. But done in 3 hours, faster next time!
                  Thanks all again!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.