Home Forum Ask A Member BRP acquires Alumacraft

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    bobw
    Participant

US Member

Saw on the Evinrude website this morning that BRP started a new branch called BRP Marine Group and acquired the Alumacraft boat line as part of that group. Hope they don’t go crazy and try to diversify like OMC did buying up boat companies. That’s part of what led to their demise.

Bob

1937 Champion D2C Deluxe Lite Twin
      1954 Johnson CD-11
      1957 Evinrude Fastwin 18
      1958 Johnson QD-19
      1958 Johnson FD-12
      1959 Johnson QD-20

“Every 20 minute job is only a broken bolt away from a 3-day project.”
      "Every time you remove a broken or seized bolt an angel gets his wings."

49hiawatha
      Participant

Alumacraft is locared in St. Peter, Minnesota. Currently 65% of Canada’s small craft come yearly from the USA. Possible strategic move or ?

20mercman
        Participant

US Member

I am sure they are trying to figure out this trade situation and our current environment, but Alumacraft is certainly one of the top 5 premier brands in aluminum boats. Good for them, but let’s hope they don’t go the route of OMC and buy a ton of boat companies that killed them.

Steve

crosbyman
          Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

alumacraft build with canadian aluminum will be taxes +25% then +10% aluminum fee coming back to canada plus 10% trade tariff

so I guess they wont sell to many boats with Princecarft built up here in Canada ….

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

bullie
            Participant

Seems like the other manufacturers sell packages at decent prices. Maybe it will help them get a few more motors out there.

outbdnut2
              Participant

US Member

Hopefully BRP will redesign some of the bigger fishing rigs to take the stress today’s heavy, higher HP, motors put on the transom. I have two friends with Alumacrafts that are in the 17-18 foot range with around 100 HP on them where the transoms are self-destructing. I’m guessing they are about 10 -15 years old. One gets trailered a lot, the other stays by the dock and seldom sees a trailer. Both have been quoted several thousand dollars to fix. Maybe Alumacraft has already corrected this stress problem.
                Dave

20mercman
                Participant

US Member
                  quote outbdnut2:

Hopefully BRP will redesign some of the bigger fishing rigs to take the stress today’s heavy, higher HP, motors put on the transom. I have two friends with Alumacrafts that are in the 17-18 foot range with around 100 HP on them where the transoms are self-destructing. I’m guessing they are about 10 -15 years old. One gets trailered a lot, the other stays by the dock and seldom sees a trailer. Both have been quoted several thousand dollars to fix. Maybe Alumacraft has already corrected this stress problem.
                  Dave

Well, this is disturbing news! I had not heard of this. Too bad, as the motors of today are so darn heavy, I think they really should address this. Most of my experience with Alumacraft has been in the older vintage hulls.

Steve

outbdnut2
                  Participant

US Member
                    quote 20mercman:

quote outbdnut2:

Dave

Well, this is disturbing news! I had not heard of this. Too bad, as the motors of today are so darn heavy, I think they really should address this. Most of my experience with Alumacraft has been in the older vintage hulls.

Steve

I agree – The older vintage hulls were/are darn near bulletproof when run with motors they were designed for. I think the 1950s Alumacrafts may well be the some of the most robust hulls ever made. The number of rivets used and the use of structural formed curves and heavy duty gunnels was great. There is a 1956 14 footer on my lake that the family bought new – it was rated for 30 HP max and they put two 30 Johnsons on it. That boat, with those motors, is still alive and well today.
                    ‘Dave

PugetSoundBoater
                    Participant
                      quote Bullie:

Seems like the other manufacturers sell packages at decent prices. Maybe it will help them get a few more motors out there.

That’s probably the biggest part of their big plan on this acquisition, package deal . Except they don’t make trailers.

"Some people want to know how a watch works, others just want to know what time it is"
                      Robbie Robertson

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.