Home Forum Ask A Member Can you please help me identify the years of these outboard cowls?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    roj115
    Participant

Hello Everyone,

Over the last couple years I collected a number of vintage ’50s outboard cowls for display in my summer cabin. Unfortunately, I’ve forgotten the years of some of them. I’m wondering if you experts can help me identify the exact years of these cowls.

The first I want to identify is this 16 Hp Scott Atwater with Bail-a-matic. I have it as a ’54 – ’56. Can anyone be more precise on the year?

The next one I need help identifying is this Johnson Sea Horse 5.5. I have it as a ’55. Is that correct?

The last one I need to identify is this Merc Turbo 4 Mark 30 cowl. I seem to recall being told it was from ’52 – ”54. Can anyone identify the exact year?

The rest of my small collection I think I’ve got nailed down as to the year.

Thanks in advance.

jpatti75
      Participant

US Member

I believe the Scott Atwater is 1954, the Johnson CD cowling is also a 1954* (missing thumb screws), and the Mark 30 recoil housing is from 1957 (the Mark 30 was introduced in 1955).

*If I am not mistaken, some of the early 1955 Johnson CD cowlings also had thumb screws. The accent paint on the 1954s is silver/dull aluminum and on the 1955 motors it is white. Canโ€™t tell if yours has white or silver from the picture.

dan-in-tn
        Participant

US Member

I don’t know much about SA or Mercs, but I agree with jpatti75 except I think it does have the place for the thumb screws? They are just missing. I was thinking by 1955 the bosses for the thumb screws were gone? I originally thought the accent stripe was silver, but after you mentioned it Im not sure either. I’m still betting on 1954.

Dan in TN

Mumbles
          Participant

To identify the motors precisely, you will need to supply the model numbers. But, going by what I see, I agree the Gold Top S/A is from ’54 -’56, maybe ’53, and the 5.5 Johnson is a ’54 model. What’s puzzling is the trim paint on the Johnson looks to be Cream color as used in ’55 instead of the Dull Aluminum which was used in ’54. The decals say ’54 though.

As for the Merc, 1957?

http://nymarine.ca/57MEMK30WEBPIC.gif

Attachments:

frankr
            Participant

US Member

Scott-Atwater is not ’53 (as suggested "maybe" above)

RICHARD A. WHITE
              Participant

Lifetime Member

The 5.5 is silver, just the way the photo came out and agreed, it is a 1954, at least on my screen it looks silver..

http://www.richardsoutboardtools.com
                classicomctools@gmail.com

fisherman6
                Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I agree with Richard. The 5.5 is a 54. The wings are painted silver, it just looks a bit off due to lighting in the photo. It does appear silver on my screen. There are places for the thumbscrews, they just are not there. The 54 has the Seahorse silhouette with the 5 1/2 on the sides and the oiling amd starting instructions on the front.
                  -Ben

OldJohnnyRude on YouTube

roj115
                  Participant

Thanks for all the help!

I did some Photoshop tweaking on the pic of the Johnson 5.5 to better show the color of the trim and it is white which coincides with my memory of it (I’m 400 miles away from it right now). The tweaking I did only manipulated the relative levels of brightness and contrast in the highlights, midtones and shadows so would not effect the colors you see.

From what everybody’s saying,it appears to have the accent color of a ’55 and the decals of a ’54? Could it be a very early ’55 when they maybe still had some’54 decals to use up and get rid of? I used to drive old RWD Volvo cars and Volvo was famous for using leftover parts from a previous year (i.e. front or rear brake calipers were common ones) in cars of the next model year so you ended up with some odd hybrids with features of two years in one car.

Here’s the tweaked picture:

roj115
                    Participant

While I’m at it, I might as well see if I can get consensus on the other cowls in my collection. ๐Ÿ˜€

I believe this is a ’58? Nice condition eh? No sun fading/oxidation, decals are great and both badges are there and in great condition.

I believe this Comet Twin Mark 6 is a ’56? BTW, I’m looking for the lower part of this cowl if anyone has one to sell ๐Ÿ˜‰

And I believe the Merc Mark 10 is from a ’57?

Mumbles
                      Participant
                        quote Roj115:

Could it be a very early ’55

Exactly my thought. There have been examples come up of early run 55’s sporting ’54 hoods with ’55 colors on them.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 11 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.