Home Forum Ask A Member Carbs needle clip–1972 V4

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    amuller
    Participant

I’m finally assembling the carbs for my 1972 85 hp. (Cleaned and bagged up a year ago….)

The needles found had no grooves for the little clip that pulls the needle down if it sticks in the valve body. The needles in the Sierra kit (yeah, I know….) have grooves for the clip but no clips came in the kits, and they don’t show in the kit parts breakdown.

Marineengine.com shows the clips, but not called out as a separate part, just as part of the needle/seat assembly.

It’s been my experience that metal to metal float valves don’t have the clips, but those with resilient needle tips usually do.

Do I need them in this application?

Thanks for any guidance.

Alan

adam1961
      Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

I work on small power equipment at work and many of the needls that have the groove, but no clip are meant to slide into a "slot" in the float. Many of the new plastic floats have a raised section that has an inverted "T" slot in it to hold the float end of the neede.

Not sure if that is the case here, but I have never used a Sierra replacement float to see if that might be the way that the make them.

amuller
        Participant

The Sierra floats look pretty much identical to OMC floats. Not saying quality is equivalent, or not. The Sierra float valve kits apparently do come with the clip. I suppose it’s possible that they were in the carb kits and I lost them, but they are something I generally know to look out for.

I know what you mean about the plastic small engine floats.

dan-in-tn
          Participant

US Member

Still getting the clips in the OEM kits that I just checked. #439071 for 3hp to 25hp. Also #439076 kit you need for your V-4. Both have steel tipped needles with clips.

Dan in TN

frankr
            Participant

US Member

OMC first started using the clips soon after they started using the soft-tipped needles. It was found that people were having trouble starting their motors, most especially the 3hp, because the soft tipped needle would stick in the seat and gravity feed wasn’t enough to unstick it. So, the clip was introduced to drag the needle off the seat and problem was solved. I suppose there may be some obsolete soft tipped needles out there without the groove, but they must be rare.

amuller
              Participant

That’s what was in mine–soft tipped needles without the grooves. I’d not be surprised if they dated from 1972. I might have some clips around somewhere, but are they available as separate items?

Alan

frankr
                Participant

US Member

I see one as part number 336842. Only $9.69 each at marineengine. I probably won’t be buying many, since that is more than the whole float valve assy.

amuller
                  Participant
                    quote Dan in TN:

Still getting the clips in the OEM kits that I just checked. #439071 for 3hp to 25hp. Also #439076 kit you need for your V-4. Both have steel tipped needles with clips.

Dan in TN

Dan: Do you mean steel-tipped or rubber-tipped?

Alan

dan-in-tn
                    Participant

US Member

Both, but the ones I was checking were steel tipped.

Dan in TN

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.