Home Forum Ask A Member Carburetor Kit issue

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    drifter
    Participant

In the last 2 months I have ordered the same carburetor kit (by P/N) from 2 different Ebay suppliers and both kits have exactly the same issue.
      The P/N of the kits is 439071 (18-7043). The motors in question are: 1954 Fleetwin and 1956 Fleetwin. Both kits are Chinese manufactured. On the pkg is the number "P870" or "R107".

The issue is that the needle seat will not proerly thread into the carb body. They will partially thread but then severly bind indication a thread mismatch. I have tried the two different seats with a half dozen carb bodies and the result is identical. Has to be a thread problem with the seats.

Anyone else having a similar issue?
      Drifter

leeinnh
      Participant

yes. twice with kits for MD 1A, 2A, tillotson carb kits. had to use the old part . tried
        to use tap and die set to re-thread, but couldn’t use the stuff I had.

shane-r13
        Participant

yah i had that issue with a 1975 2hp evinrude. I suppose you get what you pay for as the saying goes. I used the old one with a new needle. It worked but yah wasn’t pleased that i spent money on new parts and had to use some of the old ones.

garry-in-michigan
          Participant

Lifetime Member

Their part has metric threads? Ben Franklin tried to have us go metric in 1784. The Government tried again in the ’70s. People were downright hostile to liters of Gasoline and Kilometers per hour in speed limits . . . 🙄

wbeaton
            Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

I sure wish you guys were metric. It would make things so much easier. We are officially metric in Canada, but most of us can work in both systems to some extent

Wayne
              Upper Canada Chapter

uccaomci.com

drifter
              Participant

Well, I measured the carburetor as 5/16 – NF24. So, I ran the faulty seat through the die then very closely (very high magnification) examined the threads and they were slightly scuffed, but, very slightly. The part seemed to fit fine following the trip through the die.

Doesn’t seem right to me that the sellers advertise the part as a fit for the specific carburetor and the part does not fit.

Drifter

chris-p
                Participant

Buy OEM carb kits only. Problem solved. You get a float that way as well.

2fast4me
                  Participant

Thanks Chris, i buy the OEM just to get the float.

2Fast4Me

jerry-ahrens
                    Participant

US Member

Yeah, anything other than OEM is junk… You can buy NOS OMC carb kits on EBay sometimes real cheap. I just bought some 439071 kits for $13.00

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.