Home Forum Ask A Member CC Comander….compression and flywheel puller

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    bsplit
    Participant

I have three CC Commanders, and would like to get one running. One of the three is just a parts motor, and I can make a good motor out of one of the other two.

The compression on one is 140 and 135. The other one is 119 and 120. I’m wondering what normal compression is on a Commander.

Also, the slots on my flywheel puller aren’t long enough to reach the holes on the flywheel….they are way out by the edge of the flywheel.

I plan on going to Mark Suter’s meet next Saturday.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks,
      Jim

twostroke
      Participant

Jim, I just pulled the rewind off a Commander (that I just picked up yesterday..) and that bolt circle IS bigger than a normal flywheel/harmonic balancer puller. I’m 99.9% sure I have access to one that’ll work….and I’ll bring it to Mark’s next Saturday.

Jim

I say "pardon me" a lot. I had a 20H, then raced open mod sleds.

bsplit
        Participant

Sounds good….Thanks, Jim

pm-t2
          Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

Y’all got one of THE most knowledgeable Chris-Craft people over there in Michigan – and you ain’t calling him???

Leroy Holland in Algonac. Tell him the Prime Minister sent ya

Best,
            PM T2

bsplit
            Participant

Pick him up on your way to Suter’s

jerry-ahrens
              Participant

US Member

A good healthy Commander will have right at 140 psi WITH the high compression cylinder head. The early Commanders did not have the upgraded head, and will be a little lower than 140.. Chris Craft came out with the high compression head upgrade, so you could soup up your motor. Be careful with your ignition points, if you break them, their hard to come by. Wait till you run that motor….you’l love it! Man they are screamers.
                Ask Lee Holland about the casting #s on the cylinder heads, as I can’t remember the #’s off hand with regards to identifying them. I would have to drop the cowl jackets on mine and look to see. let me know if you need more info.

pm-t2
                Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years
                  quote Bsplit:

Pick him up on your way to Suter’s

Not going to Suter’s, I’m headed to a goalie clinic

PM T2

bsplit
                  Participant

Thanks, Jerry……and Chris…..don’t get hurt

Anonymous

I made a puller and i think if I remember correctly the holes in the flywheel for the puller bolts are an odd size threads, that I had to also order a special die and make my own puller bolts.

bsplit
                      Participant

XR55….I just checked the holes used for the puller, and it is a common size fine thread. I used some fine threaded puller bolts used for another motor, and they do fit. A couple years ago, when trying to find bolts for the flywheel of a Johnson 9.8 hp KD15, I couldn’t find any. A Florida AOMCI member suggested that I drill, and retap the holes on the KD15 so I could use standard size bolts.

Thanks,
                        Jim

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.