Home Forum Ask A Member CD-11’s compression issue

Viewing 8 posts - 31 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Author
    Mumbles
    Participant

You want triplets ‘eh?

It’s been done! (Can’t find FR’s photo)

Attachments:

wedgie
      Participant

wedgie
        Participant

By the way, the 3 Javelins are cleverly "shopped" by Garry Spencer. 😆

fleetwin
          Participant

US Member - 2 Years

The one motor I did not touch the internals does start/run OK, but as mentioned before, it too read around 30 PSI.

This statement say a lot for me. The one engine you did not disassemble starts and runs OK, but shows compression readings of 30PSI. It is very unlikely that the engine would start and run OK if the 30PSI readings are accurate. So, I am feeling pretty confident this is simply a gage issue. You mention getting the other engine(s) running, but they smoke a lot. Are you running the engine in a test tank or just a bucket? It is tough to get the needle valves dialed in when running in just a barrel/bucket, so I’m thinking the settings are still too rich. You will need to get the high speed needle somewhat dialed in before attempting to make low speed needle adjustments. You can not make these adjustments with the engine in neutral, it must be in gear under load.
            Finally, don’t take the readings/indicators on the twist grip sleeve too seriously, they are usually inaccurate. In other words, just because you can not lower the twist grip down past the "shift" range, does not mean the engine is not idling correctly. Do you have the throttle cam pick up adjustments set properly?
            Finally, please be very careful trying to start, or doing compression tests with an electric drill/impact gun on the flywheel nut. You don’t want to inadvertently over torque the nut and damage the crank/flywheel tapers.

skanders01
            Participant

Thanks, fleetwin, these final bits of advice you pass along, here, make a lot of sense to me. I was just starting/running them in an old garbage can….and doing the best I can to clean the gook floating off the top in between motors. Hope I didn’t gunk up the internals of the water passages. Definitely need to revisit the throttle cam adjustments as you recommend.

Regards,

Kyle Anderson
              Trempeleau, WI
              skanders@triwest.net
              920-764-0501

fisherman6
              Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I wouldn’t worry about the oil slick left on the water in the test barrel gunking up the internals of the water passages. I have run mine with a really nasty film on top and the motors don’t care about a bit of oil in the water passing thru.

I also was just going to recommend double checking the throttle cam settings. I don’t remember if anyone else asked before or not, but are you sure the points cams are not upside down in any of these motors? That was another passing thought I had on this subject.
                -Ben

OldJohnnyRude on YouTube

skanders01
                Participant

Thanks, Ben. Glad to know I don’t have to give the internals a bath of Dawn. Points cams are all in the correct position. May not have been, to your point, if there wasn’t "Top" stamped on them. Thank you Mr. Johnson.

Kyle Anderson
                  Trempeleau, WI
                  skanders@triwest.net
                  920-764-0501

skanders01
                  Participant

Yes, Mumbles. Don’t want any of them to get jealous of the others.. I’ll have to make a bracket on the front to mount the fourth one on to use as a trolling motor.

Kidding aside, and If this is enough on the compression topic I can start another topic (don’t want to break any rules) but I would like to know if there is any issue feeding more than one motor off of a manifold arrangement connected to a single tank? Anyone have any experience with this? Any recommendations on a good reliable but unguilded hose brand?

Thanks, again.

Kyle Anderson
                    Trempeleau, WI
                    skanders@triwest.net
                    920-764-0501

Viewing 8 posts - 31 through 38 (of 38 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.