Home Forum Ask A Member cd-12

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    kirkp
    Participant

Working on a few things for my CD-12 and noticed that one of the rubber cowl bumpers (for lack of a better term) is broken. Here’s a pic of it (#77) but for some reason the parts listing stops at 76. Anyone know what it’s called and where one can be located?
      Kirk

Attachments:

david-bartlett
      Participant

Kirk,

They can be found here for starters.
        http://www.nymarine.ca/

Part # is 303922. Some on ePay right now.

I have also purchased from this source as well. Not real pretty, but work fine.
        https://www.billrauscher.com/outboards/ … 03922.html

Mumbles
        Participant

If you don’t want to lay out the cash for a new one, a simple one can be made out of a piece of the correct size rubber gas line or tubing. Find a piece which fits snugly over the mounting post and round the other end over with a sharp knife. It will support the hood and stop it from rattling and nobody will know about it except yourself. 😉

kirkp
          Participant

Appreciate the replies. One of the bumpers on this motor broke in half but is all there held together with electrical tape. Works for now so we’ll see where I go.
            Kirk

aquasonic
            Participant

US Member

If the rubber is broken or cracked transversely, but complete, there may be another option. Clean up the part and use a thin bead of crazy glue on the cracked seam, then apply light pressure until set up. Crazy glue seems to fuse this soft rubber together. This repair has, for me, also saved several of the delicate faceplate grommets that often tear apart at the attachment slots.

Once the repair is made, a dab of clear silicone on the cleaned up mounting posts, will keep the rubber mount from falling off when the cowl is opened. Dab the silicone, install the mount, and close the cowl to hold the mount in place overnight.

Steve D
              Participant

I’ve used Mumbles and aquasonic’s tips in the past when needed, also BigRich has some nice repros, and I’ve also used rubber vacuum caps in the 3/8" size found at auto parts stores or ebay. Just need to shorten them a little. I recently bought a bag of 25, came out to about .44 each. I can send you a couple if you want them.

Attachments:

aquasonic
                Participant

US Member

Great idea Steve D! I’ll be looking into getting some of those vacuum caps. So many times those mounts fall off and are just missing.

crosbyman
                  Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

isn’t this site GREAT 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

need2fish
                    Participant

Ummm… you can also use the carboy corks from wine or beer making kits 🙂

kirkp
                      Participant

Lot of great ideas here. Aquasonic, I was thinking about something along the glue angle and think I’m going to try the super glue option

Steve, appreciate the offer and I may be in touch if all else goes down the can.

Kirk

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 11 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.