Home Forum Ask A Member Champion hydro drive

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    rjoynt
    Participant

US Member

How do you change the impeller on a 1950 to 51 Champion Hydro Dr.? Do you have to change the shaft?

fisherman6
      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Not sure about the Hydro Drive, but I just changed one on my Champion built Sea Flyer with full gearshift and it has a roll pin through it. You have to drive the roll pin out of the drive shaft. It passes all.the way through both sides of the impeller and through the drive shaft. My guess is it is the same as the HD.
        -Ben

OldJohnnyRude on YouTube

mercuryman
        Participant

Its located behind lower unit cap in front of prop. You give the cap a 1/4 turn and it comes off and you will see the impeller.

frankr
          Participant

US Member

This is all I know.

image hosting

fisherman6
            Participant

US Member - 2 Years

YA, that’s a whole different breed of cat from my gearshift lower on the 5hp. 😮 If I ever end up with a HD, I’ll remember that.
              -Ben

OldJohnnyRude on YouTube

rjoynt
              Participant

US Member

So, it appears that the shaft and the impeller are one piece? Any clue on who would be making these or get them directly from the manufacturer? LOL.

frankr
                Participant

US Member

I may be wrong (probably), but I seem to remember that Brian Wilcox can cast a new one on your old core. Worth a try anyway.
                  call 810-794-7685 before 8 pm est please.Or email Baron0418@att.net. please note the b must be a capital.

fisherman6
                  Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I got my impeller for my Sea Flyer from Brian Wilcox. It works great. That much I do know.
                    -Ben

OldJohnnyRude on YouTube

jcrigan
                    Participant

There is a service manual for the hydrodrive at the fiberglassics website. I think you use 30 weight oil in the gearcase. Be careful not to ruin the seals as they are nla.

rjoynt
                      Participant

US Member

I checked with Brian Wilcox and he can make the impeller and the shaft is part of the unit.
                        Thanks

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.