Home Forum Ask A Member Champion UJ4J

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    elgin2
    Participant

US Member

I was looking for a pair of J4J’s in my spark plug assortment. I found one and then can across a UJ4J. They look identical. Does anybody know what the difference may be?

dave-bernard
      Participant

US Member

UJ4J is a resister plug.

Mumbles
        Participant

The old ‘U’ plugs had a small gap inside of them, instead of a solid core. This was supposed to help keep the plugs from fouling by increasing the voltage going to the plug.

dan-in-tn
          Participant

US Member

It was an auxiliary gap spark plug. As Mumbles said it had a gap built inside that required the KV to go up to jump the gap resulting in more voltage at the spark plug tip. Think of it as holding the plug lead away from the spark plug to increase the intensity. Somewhat of a bandaid when ignition systems were weak?

Dan in TN

frankr
            Participant

US Member

RJ4J would be the resistor version. Not the same thing.

Pete
              Participant

US Member

Champion has a lot of lead letter designations for their plugs.

R – contains a ceramic resistor in series with the center electrode to suppress ignition noise which prevents (reduces) interference in radio, electronics, etc.

U – contains an internal auxiliary gap (also called a booster gap) in series with the center electrode to help reduce fouling by creating increased voltage to the exposed gap at the tip. They are not the same as a Resistor plug.

Scroll down to Champion for codes:

https://www.sparkplugs.co.uk/spark-plug-symbol-codes/

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.