Home Forum Ask A Member Chasing demons, getting confused. Why would a pump do THIS?

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    david-bartlett
    Participant
      quote BillW:

I wonder if they have ethanol in China?

Bill,

I would bet they do but they probably don’t care about what us “Yankee’s” run in our old motors. The lowest common denominator probably applies here.

Just another example of their “war” against us.

bullie
      Participant
        quote BillW:

I’m sure they do have ethanol in China but I suspect they aren’t stupid enough to put it in their gasoline.

nj-boatbuilder57
        Participant

Any thoughts on ethanol-resistance of the Sierra equivalent? The local West Marine has stock, and I’m sitting on about 50 bucks in gift card balances. Might as well use them up.

Thoughts?

frankr
          Participant

US Member

I would have the same quicky diagnosis of that diaphragm, but in all fairness it might not be an Ethanol problem at all. It COULD simply be it was not resistant to plain ol’ oil. Oil does that to rubber. Either way it clearly is a problem.

nj-boatbuilder57
            Participant

But the bottom line remains unchanged: cheap eBay knockoff pump, right?

Is the Sierra pump any good? I can get one today & be up and running in 2 hours. Otherwise, I’ll order an OMC. What do you think?

frankr
              Participant

US Member

Sierra makes ok stuff. But in my opinion, their quality control stinks. When they produce a batch of defective stuff, it may be months before it is reported and corrected. Just my opinion.

EDIT: Oops

nj-boatbuilder57
                Participant

OMC it shall be. Thanks!

Mumbles
                  Participant
                    quote BillW:

Sure, they have lots of alkyhol over there.

Last year, a friend went for a cold one while he was in Nanjing. He ordered a large one and this is what they brought him, and he drank the whole thing, by himself!

Attachments:

jerry-ahrens
                    Participant

US Member

Ebay has some pretty decent deals on OMC pumps. I always make sure that whatever I buy comes in an OMC or BRP box. You have to be carefull, because sellers will show their parts under the OMC part #, but what you are actually buying is aftermarket.

nj-boatbuilder57
                      Participant

I placed an order for new-in-the-box OMC pump from a reputable on-line marine vendor. Should be here by Thursday.

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 21 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.