Home Forum Ask A Member cheap knobs… not for purists

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    crosbyman
    Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

I was looking to find a low speed knob for my 9.5 sportwin (9622a) and paying 20-30$ (incl shipping etc…) seemed offensive to me being just a simple plastic push -on knob.

As I was visiting a local electronics parts store I found some common radio knobs in their " used bins" that seemed
      potential replacements for….$0.99 cents

I picked up a few with a 1/8… 3/16 shaft size and most were fitted with 2 small screws to tighten things securely on the shaft . all worked great so it was just a matter for choosing the style. The one with the pointer won !

And if you want super cheap knobs …. plain old "marret" electrical nuts ..the one for 3-4 size 12ga wires with the inserts & screw can do the job

If color needs to be added … fingernail polish (wide color choices) from Dollar store at $1 a bottle works great

These will do a nice job till I find the real thing…for free… my ultimate price 🙂

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

Buccaneer
      Participant

US Member

Not sure if Radio knobs will work, but I’m looking for an adjustment
        knob for my 1960 Fisherman. Will have to "look into" radio knobs,
        as I’m not paying $20 for that little hunk of plastic either, lol

Prepare to be boarded!

crosbyman
        Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

i’ll post a picture soon … but I assure you Radio knobs works fine on my engine model

I just nipped off the small molded stopper pin on the faceplate to allow proper seating and full rotation
          " Unavailable…." missing L/s shaft C clips were replaced with hardware store C clips at 70 cents a piece

frankr
          Participant

US Member

So that’s where all the knobs have gone off all the antique radios I’ve bought. My wife says she used to pull them off and play with them when she was a kid.

crosbyman
            Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

Has she kept up with that habit ?? 😳

seakaye12
              Participant

US Member

If you don’t mind purchasing from China and waiting a week or three for delivery….ali express has many many choices….this one at 15 cents each….free shipping on an order of 10.

crosbyman
                Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

here is my final choice of ..used radio knobs…

Attachments:

crosbyman
                  Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years
                    quote Seakaye12:

If you don’t mind purchasing from China and waiting a week or three for delivery….ali express has many many choices….this one at 15 cents each….free shipping on an order of 10.

nice lot … very important is the fit for the shaft size and I like the ones with the screws to tighten down the knob.

Otherwise some epoxy glue may be needed to secure it properly on the shaft … no harm …at 15 cents a piece one can always crack it off if ever a need comes up to remove the knob and shaft from the front panel

Mumbles
                    Participant

Good tip but that’s an old trick and I’ve been ‘tuning in’ certain motors for years using old radio knobs. What I find is the press on ones don’t fit very well so if you can find ones with a set screw, use them. A really small set of vice grips will work to. Left hanging straight down, they wont wander while the motor is running.

I’ll have to try the Marrets sometime. Lots of those in various sizes around here.

frankr
                      Participant

US Member
                        quote crosbyman:

Has she kept up with that habit ?? 😳

Not really. She inherited her grandfather’s 1920’s Philco radio. Nobody better not steal the knobs off that one.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 12 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.